Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1219955883

From: Barry Carlson <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] address not reliably privatized
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:38:03 +1200

Joan <> wrote:-
On Friday, August 29, 2008 1:33 AM (UTC+12)

> Someone with more techie knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong but I
> believe
> there is the #number encryption and some sort of javascript routine that
> deters address harvesting as well as the use of flybait which feeds tons
> of
> bogus email address to any possible harvester to discourage attempts to
> get the
> addresses. These may not all be obvious in looking at the code.
-----------------------
Joan and Others

The following link will take you to a HTML page which incorporates a
JavaScript Email Address Encryptor.

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bristowe/encryptor/

It is simple to use, and can have its Default inputs changed by opening the
page in a Text Editor and making the changes. Just placing your cursor over
the default text will allow you to enter something different for the
session.

The Link text can also be changed to a link to a graphic - a sample will be
found in <!-- comments --> closer to the end of the page.

I originally (2 years ago) designed this Encrytor to allow the Email
Address of contributors to a large database at -
http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~blacksmiths

to be appended to entries submitted by contributors. In this case an
"Email" graphic is used as the clickable link.

Note: The encryption is random and uses the current time as the "seed" for
generating the code. This means that if you were to enter the same Email
Address and save it with the same filename, the encryption would be
different each time.

To use:-

1.. Enter the details in the Email Address, Link Text, Subject and Status
fields.
2.. Click Encrypt
3.. Click Highlight Script
4.. Control +C
5.. Paste into a Text Editor - Control +V and Save As 'myemail.js' (a new
name for each address).

Where you would normally place e.g. "Email Me" in your HTML, you will now
place -
<script type="text/javascript" src="myemail.js></script>
Just remember to load the myemail.js file to your website!

You can use it "online" or Copy & Paste the source code into a Text Editor
and Save (necessary if you want to 'modify' the defaults).

Barry

This thread: