Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-08 > 1219972429

From: Ron Lankshear <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] address not reliably privatized
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:13:49 +1000

Yes I agree - the hit list from your search
clearly has the full email address

Presumably spider engines could access such hit list

The note itself when opened has a javascript
encrypted address

I also have a googlemail address which I use for
my web site which I use with a plain old Mailto

I find that googlemail has an excellent mail
filter and very little spam gets past it
perhaps one a month.

Otherwise I suggest write to Rootsweb/Ancestry
help per top right of their page

Ron Lankshear - Sydney Aust (from London-
Shepherds Bush & Chiswick)
PS Ron often omits vital words like THE and NOT in
emails
http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lankshear/

the cohens wrote:
> I disagree. If you search a keyword (for me, I used "kasle") in the
> archiver.rootsweb.com, the address of the poster is privatized, but
> addresses still appear in the text of the messages when people reply
> to a message.
>
> http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search
>
> Rootsweb should be privitizing the search results page for this, and
> not just the message pages. I thought they used to do it, I tested
> before starting to post.
>
> And on your suggestion, I just viewed html raw source and the email
> addresses are clearly there in the message body snippets in the
> results page, including the whole address with an "at" @ sign in them,
> in the raw html.

This thread: