Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2008-11 > 1227126421

From: Patricia Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Margins
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:27:01 -0500

At 03:19 PM 11/19/2008, Neil A. Boyer wrote:
>My probably amateurish solution to the question of getting wider margins is
>to use a table. I am using NVU and Kompozer. After I have completed a page,
>I go to the top of the page, and create a table that is set for 90% of the
>page width (it can be set for any width). I then select all of the text from
>the page and drag it into the table. Within the table box, I select a
>Background Color for the table, and then I use a CSS link for the color in
>the margins. Here's an example of one of my pages, in this case the website
>index page:

Instead of a table use a simple set of <div id="container"> content
of page </div> tag.

Create a style for the container

#container {

background-color: #fff;
width: 95%;
margin: 0 auto 0 auto;

Sets the background color to white, width to 95% and the auto left
and right centers the container on the page.

Pat Geary, Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
We discuss FrontPage and Expression Web

Web Design Tips and Tutorials

This thread: