Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2009-03 > 1236535606

From: "Barry Carlson" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] FTP Access
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 07:06:46 +1300

In respect of the messages below, I believe that a recent Windows Update to
SP3 has resulted in further restrictions to cross domain access within the
Windows Vista /XP Operating Systems.

Donn Devine reported to me that he is using Windows Vista with the
'downgrade' to XP pro and IE7, and at this stage I am not sure if it is the
O/S or the browser that is causing the problem. The underlying problem is
that as MS do not give active support to their inbuilt browser ftp client,
it may be nearly impossible to get them to take any notice of a bug report
associated with a security update.

Both Marina and Donn get the same Windows Error Message which implies that
it is a security issue within either the O/S or browser. In this respect,
it may be worthwhile checking that you are actually logged on as
Administrator.

The difference between the access url used and the reported url in the error
message is a Windows semantics one and irrelevant to the prime issue.

I am personally using Windows XP Home with SP3, IE7 and logged on as
Administrator. On checking the IE7 FTP this morning using
ftp://users.freepages.rootsweb.com/ I am only getting the "Internet Explorer
cannot display the webpage" message.

I also have Vista on another system and will see what happens when I check
that shortly.

In the meantime, I suggest that the IE FTP client be left to "rest in peace"
and that use is made of FileZilla or another little free FTP client I have
come across with a simple and user friendly interface -
Classic FTP which can be found at:- http://preview.tinyurl.com/bp6p78

Barry

On Monday, March 09, 2009 4:53 AM (UTC+13) Marcia C Farina
<> wrote:-

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Pat Asher <> wrote:
>
>> At 01:01 AM 3/8/2009, wrote:
>>

>>> "The folder 'ftp://users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/genealogy' is
>>> read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access.
>>>
>>> "To move, paste, rename, or delete files, you must use a different
>>> proxy.
>>> For information on changing your proxy, contact your administrator."
>>>
>>> I am using Windows Vista with the XP downgrade and IE 7,0. I have
>>> checked
>>> the
>>> security and IE browse settings, to no avail. How can the proxy server
>>> be
>>> changed?
>>>

>> As Ron pointed out, the correct name for the subdirectory is
>> "genealogy_html"
>>
>> Because "users.freepages.rootsweb.com" is redirected to "
>> users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com" the security settings in Vista may
>> be objecting when you try to change directories. Add "ancestry" to the
>> URL
>> so you are not accessing the redirect.
>>
>> For the password, try entering it in the URL, i.e.
>> ftp://userid: type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com','pasSWorD');
>>
>> Pat
>>

> In the past I have always used START / RUN /

ftp:// type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com','userid');

> I added .ancestry between rootsweb and .com some time ago. Worked fine.
>
> When Barry wrote to me on Mar 4, I had previously tried both flavors: with
> my userid and password and without.
>
> The FTP page opens with this at the top:
>
> FTP directory /genealogy_html/ at users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com
>
> When it fails, however, the message is:
>
> "The folder '
ftp://users.freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/genealogy' is
> read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access.
>
> On Mar 4, there had been an interval of several hours between the time
> Barry
> e-mailed me and when I read the e-mail, so with the thought that maybe he
> or
> someone had changed something on the Rootsweb side during that time, I
> tried
> again to FTP - and it worked.
>
> The next day I tested it again - and it worked. I think, but at this time
> won't swear to it, that I actually did FTP at least one file.
>
> Half an hour ago, however, I tried it both ways, with and without userid
> and
> password. No go, same error message as above.
>
> Windows does seem to be holding some information over between repeated
> attempts because on the second attempt no separate password window opened.
> I rebooted, tried again, same error, no separate password window.
>
> I rebooted a second time before starting to type this e-mail and tried
> again
> (without userid and password) because I wanted to capture a screen shot.
> This time I got the separate password window and it appeared to let me in,
> but when I attempt to open one of my directories, this error message pops
> up:
>
> Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name
> correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
>
> Details: The connection with the server was reset.
>
> Unfortunately, starting immediately, I won't have direct access to my
> computer for the next couple of weeks so I won't be able to help
> troubleshoot.
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium with automagic updates.
>
> Marcia

This thread: