Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2009-04 > 1238627825

Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Word Family history into a Gedcom
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:17:05 -0400

I know nothing about Gedcom format, but a little about converting data. Word has more possibilities in that area than are generally used*: e.g - separate data types by tabs, use text to table, then the table may be copied and pasted in Excel, where spreadsheet functions can be used to re-order data types.

*Double para marks can be exchanged for a special character, single paras for a tab, then the special character back to para to make the line breaks. To make the result into an html coded table, exchange: tabs for 'close/open cell' tags; para mark for: 'close cell, close row' para mark, 'open row, open cell'. Word para marks can be exchanged for: close para tag, para mark, open para tag. And so on.

If anyone would like to know more about using Word in this way (thus adding html tags to a Word doc, using 'find and replace' - the result being transferred into Notepad or similar, saved as html), contact me off list since this isn't exactly genealogy.

Caroline

(old e-address, still valid: )
____

Read some of the poems written to celebrate Liverpool's 800th anniversary
http://www.poem800.com/index.php

Visit "Tilberia"
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~cmtilbury

"TheTilbury Magazine"
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cmtilbury/ttm/ttm_frontpage.html

AlanT's London families, including his globetrotters, & Edward-the-warehouse T
http://www.arext.plus.com/

"Susie's Family" website with Buckinghamshire families
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~susiesfamily

"The Bingham Line" (with HMS Tilbury in WW1)
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~bingham

NB: an e-mail message remains the Intellectual Property of the sender; traffic on this e-mail server may be normally subject to USA copyright law.