Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2010-02 > 1266037294

From: "J.A. Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] free pages website construction - two cemeteries
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 00:01:34 -0500

henry,

I'm sick but I can help a little.

Web making is similar to Windows in terms of a "directory", a "sub
directory" and "a file".

Here is how a directory tree would look like if I was doing cemeteries
(online in freepages):
<parent directory> -- category that you pick, like "genealogy", "history",
"military"-- most people start with the "genealogy" web category
---------your created directory <cemetery> or <cemeteries>
------------------------your created sub-dir <mt-morris> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------your created sub-dir <st-james> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------your created sub-dir <mt-olivet> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------your created sub-dir <georges> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------your created sub-dir <our-lady> -- these are for
individual cemes

In each sub-directory, you'd have files-- i.e. a page, or many pages.
------------------------your created sub-dir <mt-morris> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------------------page you created names_a_to_b.htm
------------------------------------page you created names_c_to_d.htm
and so on

------------------------your created sub-dir <st-james> -- these are for
individual cemes
------------------------------------page you created like photos_1.htm
------------------------------------page you created like photos_2.htm
------------------------------------page you created like census.htm (1
page for a real short census of a cemetery)

On your computer, it would be
My Documents
---> My Webs (folder)
---------->genealogy (folder)
----------------->cemeteries (folder)
------------------------->name of cemetery 1 (folder)
------------------------------------- file or page inside the folder above

Break up your files into small chunks. A, B, C breaks work well, even
though you'll have 26 pages (or more if the M, Mc, S, or T have too many
names) Don't make a page real long or "heavy" with data.

Someone else has to direct you about free html editors. I use an old
Frontpage2000 so I don't know other ones. I know you can find used
Frontpage2003 programs on the Internet to buy.

Save yourself many headaches-- don't use Word. Until you find a
program,don't do more typing because you'll end up having to do all the work
twice.

Gotta go, I feel miserable, sorry.

Judy

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Henry S Dillon <>wrote:

> Ok. I have two cemeteries, one finished just as I'd like to see it online
> and other partially so. They are formatted via MS Word, however. I have
> read MS Word is not the best form to work from. If I can't construct these
> in MS Word, what format should I use? Anyway I think I need to get them
> into an html format either via the WYSIWYG Editor or by applying basic
> html.
> However, as I have experimented with the free pages editor, I haven't had
> much luck. I don't understand the function/definition of a various
> categories listed. For example, how is a directory or subdirectory
> different from a file? If each cemetery is a separate file, what is a
> directory? I also tried to upload a cemetery file and got a message it was
> too large. Obviously I've created a bit of a dog's breakfast up to this
> point. Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Henry

This thread: