Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2010-05 > 1273364977

From: chris dale <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] site map creation...
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 17:29:37 -0700 (PDT)

 I have some  questions about site map creation.  I know that dreamweaver automatically creates some version of a site map that I saved as a PNG file.  (It doesnt look like something I would use on my webpage however).

   One of my reference books mentions that the PNG and JPEG formats are best for inserting the site map on the webpage, but that one should create an XML site map to be made available to search engines.... I have been looking at Pat's site map which is really thorough,  but am having trouble following the code... I am not too great at writing code...  Is there a simple outline somewhere online as to how to create a sitemap?

I guess I was delusional when I thought I could just create an HTML page with an outline showing links to my pages....   I found the following on the google webmaster sitemap creation page and I am confused as to which route I should follow....  I can see how I could create an HTML page and save it as an XML type file... I dont understand where exactly the following code is supposed to go  (top of the file? and bottom of the file???)and if this is the method you all would recommend.  What is the best way for a beginner to create one?
Jill Dale

To create a Sitemap based on the Sitemap protocol:

Create a text file and save it with a .xml extension.
Add the following to the top of the file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">;
Add the following to the bottom of the file: </urlset>
Create an entry for each URL. The <loc> tag is required; the others are optional. <url>
<loc>http://www.example.com/</loc>;
<lastmod>2005-01-01</lastmod>
<changefreq>monthly</changefreq>
<priority>0.8</priority>
</url>
Upload your Sitemap to your site. Then submit it to Google using Webmaster Tools.

This thread: