Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2010-09 > 1285537302

From: "Barry Carlson" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Scrolling Table
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:41:42 +1300

On Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:43 PM (UTC+13)
Ian Singer wrote:-

> The problem is that it does not always work in Excel 2002. Sometimes the
> data sorts and sometimes it does not. It appears to be more reliable if
> instead of sorting on a section and telling it there is a header if you
> say there is no header. I have no idea why the sorts do not always work.

My understanding of Excel 2002, is that if you click on a column and select
Data / Sort, it will automatically sort all the Rows based on the data in
the Column you selected. I am using Open Office 3, and it functions in a
similar manner.

> As the original version I have online does not use li tags are you saying
> it will not work properly with all browsers.

You can sort the data, but you will need to develop a different method of
getting it to sequence -

Aa Ab
Ac Ad etc..

> You say "once done copy the data into the three columns in the html file
> but in the version you posted I do not see three columns as there are two
> and I do not see where in the source code you are generating two of three
> columns as that is not coming from what is in the Excel.

I don't know how you are not seeing 3 columns in Spreadsheet example -

http://countjustonce.com/singer-layout.html

The html in the columns has now been arranged so that you can add anything
anywhere and sort the whole table once. The layout shown there is identical
to what is in the spreadsheet.

> But as the original two columns they all line up fine and that is without
> li codes Java or CSS am I really gaining anything. I am still going to
> need to put it in Excel, then do 27 sorts then past into HTML. This is
> compared to present where I do a bock search and remove on <./TR> <.TR>,
> add names into existing set up in the right sequence and then paste <./TR>
> <.TR> after every two lines.

Well, that is up to you.

I wouldn't want to maintain the data-base that way, nor use that html
format.

The page at -

http://countjustonce.com/singer-li.html

performs equally well across all browsers.

Barry

This thread: