Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-01 > 1295988092

From: "Barry Carlson" <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] An Alternative to Pop-up Windows
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:41:32 +1300

On Monday, January 24, 2011 12:51 PM (UTC+13)
Charles Dobie wrote:-

> I'm confused by all of this. I tested the pop-up windows on my navy
> website with the version you give in your test file and the load time on
> your test file takes a lot longer (instantaneous vs two or three seconds).
> What is the advantage of your alternative to a pop-up window?
-------------------------

To clear this up, Charles and I have discussed this timing issue off list
and in Charles' words,

"I did some more pop-up window testing and the speed of the window display
is a slight of hand. What displays instantly is the frame and then the
actual text takes another second or two before it fills the frame. However
the viewer's perception is an instant response. In your method, the viewer
sees nothing until the full window frame plus contents is formatted."

That is correct, and is by design, as the called file may want to change the
default frame size and styles. See below ...

The other advantages are:-
(a) You design the frame, e.g. color etc..
(b) There is no need to close the frame before making another server call.
(c) The new call will just modify the style of the existing frame and
replace its contents.
(d) The called contents are a .txt file.
(e) For SEO purposes, the hyperlinks using the javascript onClick() method
can also
have the standard href="url". The javascript will ignore the href call,
and search
engines will read it.
(f) Plus others ....

Barry