Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-02 > 1297574894

From: "Kim Mills" <>
Subject: [FreeHelp] include files?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:28:14 -0500

I recently put my family website up on Ancestry's freewebs, its just a basic
page generated by RootsMagic. I would like to change this to have a nicer
main page and other area's for content, linking to my surname pages etc.
Easy enough for me to do.
But I would like to set up includes so my header and left side menu are the
same on all pages.
I have a WAMP local host set up, as I'm used to using wordpress and joomla.
Mostly tweaking css to suit what I need. I don't have much experience
working with non cms websites.
Anyway I've been sitting here all evening trying to get the includes to
work. I can't even get them to show up. LOL

I've been over every tut on the genealogy websites I can find, I've checked
out a few others for general websites. I think I need includes for dummies.
LOL :-P I did find a good video tutorial but it was for PHP includes and I
don't think that will work on the freewebs??

Basically what I have done is on my local host I have my site folder.
Inside that I have my index.htm and style sheet. I have a folder named
_includes
Inside that I made a txt file with a basic menu links, no styling yet. I've
only put one link in, I wanted to see how they look before adding
everything.
<ul id="nav">
</ul>
Then I go to my web editor I'm using KompoZer right now. I enter the code
<!--#include virtual="_includes/left-menu.txt" --> and nothing shows up,
either in the web editor or on my local host view. I've tried different
paths to the left-menu.txt file so far no luck with any of them...

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Kim

-----