Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-02 > 1297613220

From: Lorrie Laskey <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Apache and Includes
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:07:00 -0600

You can install Apache on your computer. That is how I work in my sites
without having to upload often to view them. There is another way but it
requires a little extra work on your part. Create a copy of you template
but instead of using includes directives use the actual code. Make sure
the nav, header or whatever html code is exactly like the code in the
include files. Name it something like working_demo or live_demo.

Work in that file, say in the nav or header, and view the changes on
your local computer. When you have finalized the changes, copy and paste
the code from the demo file nav, header or whatever into the appropriate
nclude file. This will require that you have two copies of your includes
and that you keep them both up to date so as not to cause confusion.

Lorrie

On 02/13/11 07:26, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 02/12/2011 11:41 PM, Barry Carlson wrote:
>> The #include code is effectively a comment in your HTML and will not show
>> locally (unless you are fortunate enough to have a local Apache server).
> This is something I've been wondering about.
>
> Would it be possible to install Apache, or some part, on a home computer
> so the includes would work locally?
>
> I realize that it would probably be overkill, but would make trouble
> shooting easier. And, take some load off the Rootsweb servers when your
> constantly uploading and checking to see if your latest change works.

This thread: