Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-03 > 1301311295

From: Patricia Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] FREEPAGES-HELP Digest, Vol 6, Issue 87
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:21:35 -0400

At 01:47 AM 3/28/2011, Blair LeMire wrote:
>I did look into using Google but I seem to be having a problem with
>using my address
>(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lemirefh/Home.htm).
>When I use this address as one of the site to search, it doesn't seem
>to find it. Does it need to have www preceding it? Would someone have
>code using Google that I could borrow? :)
================

Hi Blair,

Folks have already mentioned that you should name your home page
index.html or index.htm. Either works but you should be consistent in
the file extension you choose. I would also suggest using all
lowercase letters especially if you are going to use the RootsWeb
file manager to upload your files.

You are also missing parts of your page which you apparently have
removed. Look at the source code for your page and check it versus
what is in the original template
http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/css-layouts/mabry-mill/mabry-mill.html

Your doctype is not longer there as well as the opening and closing
html tag. See this article for more help
http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/html-document-structure.html
on the basic structure of an html document.

While the origianl template uses the xhtml doctype, you can easily
change it to html transitional BUT you will need to add this to the
top of your page

<....!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">;
<.....html>

just before the opening head tag

and this to the end of your page