Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-06 > 1308834419

From: Patricia Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] help with my freepages
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:06:59 -0400

At 12:26 AM 6/23/2011, J.A. Florian wrote:
>My suggestion is to FIRST decide on a WEBSITE NAME. HOW will your
>website be "known" online? For example, everyone easily recognizes
>"Ancestry" as www.ancestry.com On every page, and in the Meta/Head tags,
>Ancestry developers use the word "Ancestry" to brand themselves. Your own
>website needs a "branding"-- some text that will appear on every page. It's
>harder for people like you and me to brand our websites, but it can be
>done. For example, one of mine is "Washington County Genealogy PAGenWeb
>Project" I have those words, in that order, on every page a visitor sees,
>plus in the HEAD tags.
==============
I disagree with Judy on this bit. Yes have a site name BUT use it as
the masthead. The title of your page and the H1 tag should be the
same or close to it and should be what THAT PARTICULAR page is about
not your site name.

From Google's SEO Guide

A title tag tells both users and search engines what the topic of a
particular page is. The <title> tag should be placed within the
<head> tag of the HTML document (1). Ideally, you should create a
unique title for each page on your site.
If your document appears in a search results page, the contents of
the title tag will usually appear in the first line of the results

Accurately describe the page's content. Each of your pages should
ideally have a unique title tag, which helps Google know how the page
is distinct from the others on your site. Avoid using a single title
tag across all of your site's pages or a large group of pages.

In looking through their SEO Starter Guide, I see it has been updated
again. The guide is in pdf format and is free so you can download it
from
<http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf>Search
Engine Optimization

Pat

Working With Rootsweb FreePages Accounts EBook

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-freepages-ebook.html
Planning a Genealogy Website EBook 2nd Edition
http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/genealogy-website-ebook.html

This thread: