Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2011-09 > 1316091732

From: Pat Geary <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Why don't search engines find my rootsweb pages?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:02:12 -0400

At 10:21 PM 9/14/2011, Janice T wrote:
>In February, 2011, I created a freepages rootsweb page at:
>
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tomerbusby/GenealogyPages/
>Busby_Historical_Pages.html
>
>I would like for search engines to find these pages so I can share the
>photos and the people's names relating to this.
>
>However, when I type in keywords that are unique to my page, it never
>appears in the search.
>
>How do I get my keywords into the source or, how do I get search engines to
>find my pages so I can share them?
==============
First off, your Home Page should be located in your main directory,
not one level down. It should also be named index.html or index.htm
for it to show when someone types in only the url without the page
name. If you view the source of your page. this line of code

<.....link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS"
href="<view-source:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tomerbusby/GenealogyPages/view-source:file:///Users/janice/Sites/GenealogyPages/Busby_Historical_Pages_files/rss.xml>file://localhost/Users/janice/Sites/GenealogyPages/Busby_Historical_Pages_files/rss.xml";
/>

it points to a file on your computer not on the Rootsweb server.

Two free ebooks that might help are

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-freepages-ebook.html

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35291
on the right hand side bar is a link to the pdf starter guide. While
you cannot use everything in the guide, much of it apply to any site.

All links to your page appear to go back to the home page so there is
only one page for the search engine to find.

pat

Pat Geary
Working With Rootsweb FreePages Accounts EBook (free)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gearyfamily/rootsweb-freepages-ebook.html

This thread: