Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2012-04 > 1334347672

From: lrlaskey <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Free or low-cost web editors -- again
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:07:52 -0500

I have noticed a trend in HTML software in the last few years that I
think is motivated by the changing computer technology. There was a time
when HTML editors, free or not, were plentiful. But that is not so now.
Fewer and fewer open source or free versions of HTML software are offered.

With that trend add the new, emerging generation of technology users who
have never had to build anything from scratch. So there seems to be
lesser need for code level control. Now the only available HTML editors
I can find are either for a fee, and very expensive, or come packaged
with other development tools that I don't need. I can't find a stand
alone HTML program.

It seems developers are now required to know and use many other
programming languages and practices. The programs are becoming more
complicated and multifunctional. So I guess, I have to, also, by necessity.

Some day old fogies will tell stores of building websites by hand and
buying software programs from stores then loading and setting them up on
their desktops to younger generations who will fall into two groups.
They will either work in the cloud or never will do any code level work
and will only know to click a mouse. The separation is becoming wider.

This is scary to me because it sets people up to be victims unless they
stay on top of technology to protect themselves and it means that hand
coding is becoming more and more specialized so that no one person can
do it anyone.

Good or bad, it is what it is.

Lorrie