Freepages-Help-L Archives

Archiver > Freepages-Help > 2012-04 > 1335159789

From: Greg <>
Subject: Re: [FreeHelp] Web page permanency
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:43:09 +1000

On 23/04/2012 3:26 PM, Barry Carlson wrote:
> On Monday, April 23, 2012 11:20 AM (UTC+12)
> Greg wrote:-
>
>> When these sorts of discussions get started, I am reminded of the
>> following quote -
>>
>> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
>> - Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943
> --------------------------------
>
> The concept of personal/home computing hadn't surfaced in 1943, and if
> Thomas Watson had still been alive in 1973, he'd probably have coined the
> phrase, "Thirty years is a very long time in computing!" The dawn of the
> home computer had arrived and within the next decade the genisis of the PC
> was developed and the likes of Atari and Sinclair PC's reached the market
> place in the early 1980's.
Then there is Ken OLSEN, and he said -
> "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
>
> - Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
> Corp., 1977

The point I was trying to make was that no one, not even those
apparently in authority, have any idea what will happen in the future.
I am not sure if there is any certainty of the web pages that we create
today will still be available in the future.
Books may be out of fashion somewhat, but if enough of them are lodged
in enough libraries, maybe one will survive.
We can only do the best we can with the tools we have (following Barry's
advice) and hope that some of it will still be there when our
ggggggrandchildren are around to go looking for us.
Greg

This thread: