GABRYAN-L Archives

Archiver > GABRYAN > 2008-07 > 1215050938

From: ,
Subject: Re: [GABRYAN] Will Help Bryan Co. Inqueries
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 02:08:58 -0000

Author: Lakeladybsc
Surnames: Shuman, Sheffield. Shuffield, Harvey
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.bryan/343.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Thank you for your information. I have the Shuman book, however I find that some of the information about my line may not be accurate. My William Henry Shuman b 1805 did marry in Bryan county in the late 1820's, had the son John Rutherford Shuman on 22 May 1829, and also may have had a second son William in 1830. William Shuman, wife, and 1 year old son are found in the 1830 Bryan County census. He moved in 1833 to Thomas County, GA with the son Rutherford. His 1st wife and 2nd child had died in 1830 or 1831. He come to Thomas Couny to live close to John Hoover Sheffield and Martha Harvey Sheffield who had moved to Thomas County from Bryan County in the later part of 1820s. William was escorted by his cousin Samuel G Shuman b 1806 who lived near William in Bryan County. There was a daughter of John Hoover Sheffield and Martha Harvey Sheffield named Martha Sheffield b 1818 who married a man named Louis Williams in Thomas County in 1840. Since I found information about t!
his Martha, it throws doubt on the theory that William's first wife was Martha Sheffield. I strongly feel that William's 1st marriage in-laws were the Sheffields. I still am not certain what the first name of the wife was that he had in 1830, and was she really a Sheffield. He married another Sheffield sister, Sarah Ann, in Thomas County in 1835. His children starting with Mary Ann were with Sarah Ann.

Important Note: