GACARROL-L Archives

Archiver > GACARROL > 2006-11 > 1162793756

From: GAGenWeb Archives <>
Subject: [GACARROL] Ga-Carroll Co. News (Newspaper abstra)
Date: 6 Nov 2006 06:15:56 -0000

Carroll County GaArchives News.....Newspaper abstracts for APRIL, MAY, JUNE 1878 1878
Copyright. All rights reserved.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/copyright.htm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ga/gafiles.htm

File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
C Gravelle November 6, 2006, 12:15 am

The Carroll County Times 1878
NEWSPAPER ABSTRACTS FROM "THE CARROLL COUNTY TIMES", Carrollton, Carroll
County, Georgia for APRIL 1878, MAY 1878, JUNE 1878

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, APRIL 5, 1878

>From "The Franklin News" we copy the following from its report of the
proceedings of Heard Superior Court. The case taken up was the State vs. Rob't
M. Huckaba, J.L. Huckaba and J.K. Adamson, voluntary manslaughter, charged
with the killing of John W. Craven on the 23rd of Dec. 1876. R.M. Huckeba was
first put on trial. The defendant plead "not guilty", relying on
Justification, that if he did stab the decedant, he did it when the life of his
brother J.L. Huckeba was in eminent danger at the hand of the deceased. The
jury found the defendant R.M. Huckeba "not guilty". Sol. Gen. Harris and C.W.
Mabry for the state; Cox and Merrill and F.S. Loftin for the defendant. The
Sol. Gen. consented that the other two defendants take a verdict of not guilty.
----

LOCAL News

Married, on the evening of the 21st ultimo, at the residence of the bride by
the Rev. Wm. Dimmock, Captain Nick Fain to Miss Annie M. Kingsbery.
---

Capt. Fain and his bride took a bridal tour to Tennessee after marriage,
returning the latter part of last week. Again they left Monday morning for
Tennessee, where, they will permanently reside.
---

We are requested to state that the funeral of Mrs. S.C. Baskin will be preached
at Concord church, Sixth district, on the first Sunday in May by the Rev. James
Baskin, assisted by the Rev. W.D. Weems, pastor in charge.
---

WHITESBURG News

Mrs. Henry and Mrs. Gilbert, two old ladies, have been quite sick for some time
past.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, APRIL 12, 1878

LOCAL News

Mr. George and Albert Sharp got back from Arkansas last Tuesday evening.
---

SUPERIOR COURT

Cases disposed of last week:

Jane Smith, widow of S.E. Smith, deceased, vs. N. Shelnutt, administrator;
petition for dower. Commissioners appointed.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, APRIL 19, 1878

MIDNIGHT MURDER
>From "The Atlanta Constitution"

About 11 o'clock Saturday night, Mr. Nathan Eason, who resides about one mile
from Red Oak station in Campbell county, was aroused from his bed by hearing a
loud knocking at his door, accompanied by persons calling for him. He arose
and answered the call by going to the door and opening it. As he was
frequently called up late at night by friends in the settlement, he anticipated
nothing at being aroused at this time of night. After opening the door he
stepped into the entrance and looked into the dark to see who had called him.
Simutaneously as he stepped in front of the open doorway a volley was fired and
many shots pierced his body in the vicinity of his stomach. His family being
aroused at the discharge of fire arms hastened to the door, when they found
laying on the floor covered with blood, the head of the once happy family.
Although lite was very nearly extinct a message was promptly dispatched for Dr.
C.S. Claridy, who arrived a few moments after. The physician upon his arrival
cast gloom over the family by stating that Mr. Eason was beyond all hope. Five
minutes after, he breathed his last.

Upon examination it was found that eleven bullets had entered the abdomen while
several had pierced his body in other localities. It is not definitely known
who the perpetrators of the outrageous crime are; but it is supposed they were
the same who fired upon Captain T.C. Murphy, Deputy United States Marshall,
some months ago. It seems that Mr. Eason had been before the grand jury in the
United States court last week and had testified as to the parties who shot at
Murphy and his party. These violators of the law, thinking that Mr. Eason had
established their guilt, killed him to protect themselves from being implicated
in the crime through his testimony. The outrageous matter will be investigated
at an early day and it is to be hoped that the prepetrators of the cowardly
outrage will be arrested and punished to the utmost extent of the state laws.
----

LOCAL News

>From the Newnan Herald of the 16th inst. we learn that Mrs. Mattie Byers of the
lower part of Carroll county died not long since. She had been married about
one month. She was the daughter of Jourdan Holland.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, APRIL 26, 1878

We learn from the last copy of the Newnan Herald that Col. Peter F. Smith of
Newnan was married to Miss Nannie R. Hobbs of Owensboro, Kentucky last week.
---

The Franklin News reports the death of Harlan Fuller of that place.
---

MURDER IN HARALSON; Shot Down on the Highway; No Clue to the Perpetrators

On the 19th inst., Elijah A. Lambert, after leaving Mr. W.H. Galamore's where
he had staid over the night, was shot from the road side by some unknown
parties, from which he died before any person reached him. The place selected
was quite a favorable one for such an act, being at a branch on the road
leading from Draketown to Buchanan and about half a mile from Corinth church.
Two or more parties had evidently remained in ambush for several hours awaiting
their man, as a quantity of tobacco had been chewed while lying in their
covert. Seven balls took effect, some buckshot and some cartridge balls.
Lambert was about 27 or 28 years old, about 5 feet 11 inches high, black hair,
beard and eyes, hair inclinded to curl, supposed to have had two wives, one in
Pickens county and one in Heard county.

That there is a system of land thieving going on, the number of bogus claims to
land attest, and that E.A. Lambert was a leader in that business, papers and
tricks found on his person fully prove, one paper contained a list of the
justices of the peace, who acted in the several counties of this state at and
during the different years that lands were granted from 1830 up to a few years
back, with pen, ink, paper, etc. so that a deed could be drawn at anytime and
to any lot of land not settled on.

Whether Lambert was killed by some of his own clan or by good meaning people,
whom he had injured, the testimony does not clearly show, but one fact is
certain, the good people of Haralson are not responsible, as most of them were
as much surprised to know that such a man lived, as they were shocked to know
that a murder had been committed in their border. The following is a synopsis
of the testimony before the Coroner's Jury. By request of the jury, Mr. G.F.
Gentry examined the witnesses and Mr. J.P. Hamil acted as stenographer:

First witness, G. Kirklin, was plowing near when the shooting occurred, heard
shooting and hollering and started with second witness to the hollering, saw
the deceased lying by the road, bloody and in much misery, called for help,
witness was frightened and ran off, heard five shots and one cap, shooting
occured at branch, about half mile N.E. Corinth church on Draketown and
Buchanan road. Second witness corroborates first witness.

Third witness, W.S. Mosley, in companyw ith W.H. Galamore, Frank Summerville,
Charles Davis, Hiram Carter and Mr. Miller went to where shooting occurred;
found deceased lying in road; saw where three men had been concealed near the
road, bushes were cut down from covert to road, to give parties a clear shot;
had seen deceased two or three times in life; saw no weapons of any kind on or
about deceased.

Fourth witness, W.H. Galamore, was acquainted with deceased from his youth; had
staid the night before at witness's house, and witness parted with deceased at
fork of road about half mile from where shooting occurred and went on in
company with wife and daughter to see Mr. Mosley. Heard the firing and
hollering, started to go, wife caught him and said must not go, they will shoot
you; went on to Mr. Mosely's in company with parties name; went to where
shooting occurred; thence to where deceased was lying dead, about half mile
from where he was shot; said deceased had staid in Polk county the night before
at J. Jenkins and was on his way home to Heard county, Georgia.

A few days ago he had received a note from Mr. James Young of Polk county,
wanting to see witness; witness went to see Mr. Young. Young asked witness if
he (witness) was acquainted with one E.A. Lambert; witness said he was; Young
said that about 12 months ago he had lost by theft a fine mare and that he
found said mare in the possession of one Thunderbert in Meriwether county and
Thunderbert got the said mare from E.A. Lambert. Young wanted Lambert to
assist him to seize the said Lambert, which witness had agreed to do for a
certain consideration. Witness was to find out exact time Lambert would be at
witnesses house. Told Mr. Young that Lambert would probably be at witness's
house on Thursday night, the 18th. Witness had asked Lambert if he had not
(naming him) sold a mare to one Thunderbert of Meriwether county; deceased said
he did; witness asked Lambert where he got said mare; Lambert said from a man
in Polk county and referred to Mr. Young. Witness supposed he had reference to
Mr. James Young.

Witness had known deceased from boyhood; he was a quarter Indian; supposed him
to be about 27 years old. About one mile from witness's house to branch where
shooting occurred. Was no person at witness's house that morning, Friday,
except witness, family and Mr. Chisolm who works with witness. Witness left
home in company with wife, daughter, little son and deceased after breakfast,
about 8 o'clock, and was about half hour from that time till heard firing of
guns. Signed, W.H. Galamore.

Fifth witness, B.F. Summerville. Saw places near road where three men had been
concealed and three tracks in toad, one track, a fine boot or shoe, about 12
inches long, one 10 inches and one 10 2/4, supposed to be deceased;
corroborates preceding witness.

By Drs. Biggers and Phillips of Draketown; two balls were found, one cartridge
ball, entering left side, passing through right and left lobe liver; the other,
a small buckshot, found in right arm.

The jury gave a verdict to the effect that E.A. Lambert came to his death by
gun and pistol shot wounds, in the hands of parties unknown to them.

The dead body was, by the citizens, decently interred at Piney Woods church.
HIs effects, notes, land deeds, day books, pocket knife, etc., face value of
which amounts to one or two hundred dollars, was carefully itemized and turned
over to Mr. Alford Galamore, county coroner.

It is supposed that the deceased had two wives; one in Pickens and one in Heard
county, with two children by the one and four by the other. But it that all be
true and the man was a bad character, it did not justify the dark deliberate
murder, and it is hoped that the tracks of the parties will be uncovered and
the guilty parties brought to justice, and it ever done, it will show one of
the darkest murders of the times. April 20, 1878.
----

BILLOW News

Mr. S.M. Craven has the best wheat crop we have seen this year. He has thirty
acres sown.
---

BOWDON News

Mrs. Tarvin departed this life Sunday morning, 9 o'clock. Her death was a
happy and peaceable one. She was an old lady and had been a member of the M.E.
church about fourteen years.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, MAY 3, 1878

Col. Robert Young, one of the best citizens of Troup county, died in LaGrange
on the 20th inst.
---

Mrs. Beall, wife of Wm. Beall of this place, was adjudged a lunatic the past
week and sent to the Asylum last Wednesday morning. This is a sad affair and
the sympathies of the community are extended to the husband and father, as well
as the mother.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of MAY 10, 1878

THE HARALSON MURDER

We neglected to state last week that those parties had been arrested, charged
with the murder of Lambert in Haralson county. These parties were Horatio and
Claude Chisolm and W.H. Gallimore. The commital trial of these parties closed
last week in Buchanan where it was held. The result of the trial was that the
court committed the parties charged with the killing for trial at the next term
of the Superior Court of Haralson county. The prisoners were carried to
Cedartown jail where they are now. In the committal trial, the state was
represented by Messrs. Ivy Thompson, Walter Brock and Murdock McBride; the
defense by Messrs. King and Head. The trial was held before Justice Isaac
Weatherby, A.J. Farmer and A.D. McKeachen.
---

TO BE HUNG
PICKENS County Murderess Tried and Found Guilty

The trial of Catherine Southern, charged with the murder of Narcissus Cowart,
alias Narcissus Fowler, began at Jasper in Pickens Superior Court on Wednesday
the 24th day of April and continued till 10 o'clock Friday night 26th, when the
jury went out to make up a verdict. They returned a verdict of guilty on
Saturday night the 27th. The court sentenced her to be hanged on the 26th day
of June next. Counsel for defendant moved for a new trial which motion will be
heard at Gilmer Court the 2nd Monday in May.

The state was represented by the Solicitor General Thomas F. Greer, Col. Allen
of Elijay and Fred Darnell, Esq. of Atlanta. Counsel for defendant, Col.
Carey W. Styles of Canton, Col. R.P. Lester of Cumming, Wm. Day and Sm.
Sunmote Esq. of Jasper. All made speeches.

The defendant remained apparently composed and unconcerned during the trial but
showed some signs of emotion during the sentence by Judge Lester. The Marietta
Journal
----

LOCAL News

Married near Bowdon on Sunday evening the 6th inst., by the Rev. Mr. Little of
Bowdon, Mr. Thomas Owens to Miss Alice Presscost of Wedowee, Ala. Mr. David
Bennett and Miss Jimmie Bowen were their attendants.
----

The Rev. J.C. Bridges of the east Texas conference, who is a brother of Mrs.
D.W. Simms, spent last Sunday with her and preached at the Methodist church on
Sunday night. He was on his way to the General Conference which met in Atlanta
the 1st of this month.
---

Mr. C.B. Simonton has secured the agency for the White sewing machine for this
county.
---

Mr. Pirkle and Frank Pope are making things lively down at their brick yard.
They will soon have a kiln of 120,000 brick ready to burn.
---

Mr. Tobias Woodward of Kansas district lost a little boy last Thursday from
pneumonia and brain fever. He only lived six or seven days after he was taken
with a chill.
----

IN MEMORY OF MRS. DANIEL

Mrs. Louisa Ellen Daniel, daughter of the late Josiah and Mrs. Elizabeth Wise
of Coweta county, Georgia, was born on the 4th day of August 1836. Married to
Andrew J. Daniel on the 10th day of February 1853 and died to live again, on
the morning of February 25th 1878 at her home in Carrollton, Georgia.

Mrs. Daniel possessed a vigor of intellect and force of character, which under
proper culture, would have fitted her, in no ordinary degree, for the higher
walks of life. Impelled by her great will and untiring energy, whatesoever her
hands found to do, in the varied relations of her position, she did with her
might. Her kindness of heart and unceasing devotion to the comfort and
happiness of her household, enshrine her memory in their affections and made of
her, while in life, all that wife and mother should be. The business of her
husband (hotel and house keeping) brought her in contact with almost all
classes of men, before whom, she ever demeaned herself with dignity and grace
and won the esteem of all.

During the dark days of the late war, while the army of Tennessee, after the
bloody field of Shiloh, paused bleeding and stricken upon the plains of
Corinth, she braved the then perils of travel between her home in Bowdon,
Georgia and the gloomy camps of the soldiery in Mississippi, and as an angel of
mercy, stood by the languishing couch of her stricken husband, and through her
timely ministrations, his life was preserved and he was restored to health and
home.

Mrs. Daniel was a christian, a purer purpose has seldom actuated a kinder,
better heart; this she gave back to the Great Giver, first in the M.P., and
then in the M.E. church, South, of which she lived for years, a worthy and
useful member, and in the bosom of which she died, as only the good can die.
She had been in failing health some two years, during which time she had
suffered much, often intensely, but always exhibiting the fortitude and
meekness of one under the chastening rod of Him, who is too wise to err, and
too good to be unkind.

Admonished by the character of her sickness that death was near, and that she
might be called away suddenly, she set her house in order, and stood waiting
for the summons, often expressing as her only regret, separation from her
family, at a time when her five children, four of whom are daughters, so much
needed her presence and counsels. And so when the Master at last beckoned and
she neared the final struggle, the last of earth, having given definite
instructions as to everything relating to her burial, assigning to each a
special duty, and leaving with her family her last benediction, with the utmost
composure, called for the singing of the hymn commencing "Oh, sing to me of
heaven when I am called to die", and calling upon her physician, a godly man,
to unite once more with her in prayer, she fell asleep, and now her friends
think of her awakened to immortaility b the song they sing in the purer, better
land. "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord." J.M.G.
-----

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, MAY 24, 1878

Col. Wiley P. Burkes, one of the oldest citizens of LaGrange, died last week.
---

BILLOW News

Mr. Allen Cook, father of Capt. Billie Cook, the saw mill man, visited us the
latter part of last week. His home is near Atlanta.
---

LOCAL News

Mrs. P.G. Garrison of Athens, Alabama, who is on a visit to her mother Mrs.
Curtis at this place, we regret to learn, has the measles.
---

The funeral of Mrs. Martha M. Buyers will be preached at Mt. Zion church the
first sunday in June. Said church is in Douglas county, about one mile from
Holland's Mills P.O. The latter is in Carroll.
---

A correspondent from Sulphur Springs, Meriwether county, to the LaGrange
Reporter, sends the following item to that newspaper: " Mr. Fincher of Carroll
was married to Miss Ilie Gillespie on the 2nd inst. Miss Ilie was one of our
most popular and charming young ladies. We hope their union will be linked
sweetness long drawn out.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, MAY 31, 1878

KATE SOUTHERN

Gov. Colquitt has commuted the sentence of Kate Southern to ten years in the
penitentiary, and we believe his actions in the matter gives pretty general
satisfaction, though there were a great many people who wished her pardoned.
---

>From the Newnan Herald we learn that Prof. H.F. Smith died very suddenly in
that city last Saturday evening at 10 o'clock.
---

Miss Crooks Wilcoxon, youngest daughter of Col. J.B. Wilcoxon of Newnan, died
at her sister's Mrs. Pope Jones on last Monday at 10 o'clock.
---

A picnic in the woods for the unfortunates in the Insane Asylum at
Milledgeville came off on Wednesday last week.
----

Perhaps the oldest living settler in Carroll county is Squire Beck of the
Eleventh district, who was in town a few days ago. He came to this country
fifty-two years ago in December 1826 and still lives on the same place he then
settled. He was a member of the first jury empaneled in this county. Court was
held at Old Carrollton at that time and lasted all day. Three cases were
tried, only two lawyers being present, Squire Fambrough and Rogers. Walter T.
Colquitt, father of the present Governor, was the presiding Judge. He held
court sitting on a pine log.
----

The wife of W.S. Bonner of this county died one day last week.
---

Mrs. Carson, wife of J.W. Carson of Sand Hill, died last Saturday morning.
---

ASLEEP IN JESUS

No community was ever more deeply saddened than was ours on the death of one of
our best and most promising young women, Martha M. Buyers, wife of C.P.
Buyers, daughter of Jordan S. and Jerusha Holland and granddaughter of Elbert
Fowler. She departed this life April 8th of the present year, having attained
the age of seventeen years, six months and twenty-two days.

She was married at the residence of her father Sunday morning, March the third,
1878 after which the bridal party attended preaching in the vicinity and
returned to Mr. Holland's for dinner in the afternoon. The tender loving
daughter, and hopeful young bride, kissed father, mother, brothers and sisters
a warm impressive goodbye and went joyfully, to receive the happy greetings of
friends in- waiting for her at her new home, where she seemed almost to
realize, there was in store for her great happiness.

But alas! Only a few days had elapsed when sore afflictions came; her
healthful body fell victim to a malady which proved so fatal as to place her
case beyind the reach of medical skill. On the eighth day after her marriage
she was carried to the home of her father for treatment. Here she received the
constant and most careful attention of her faithful physicians and every
comfort of her attentive husband and family which love can secure to the sick.
She survived her marriage only five weeks and one day. To us it appeared that
no lady was ever led to the altar with a brighter prospect for life, health and
happiness than she, being a stranger to disease, in the very bloom of youth and
having given her heart to whom she most loved.

Notwithstanding her stay on earth was short, yet such was her conduct and
example in life as to merit the very higest esteem of all who knew her. The
influence she exerted for good will long be remembered. She was a dutiful
daughter, ever glad to receive the advice and to heed the instructions of her
parents, a precious sister, indeed she was the idol of the family, an entirely
devoted companion and a model for her associates. Too pure for earth, God took
her to Himself. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away; blessed be the name
of the Lord."

She said to her weeping husband and family " Weep not for me, when my
sufferings here are ended, I shall then be forever at rest. I see Jesus in his
loveliness and here are three angels come for me. I go with them. Oh, husband,
father , mother, brothers and sisters, do meet me in Heaven. Farewell."
-----

NEWSPAPER Issue of Monday, JUNE 7, 1878

Ed McDonald, incarcerated in the Newnan Jail, charged with murder, was
baptized on last Sunday and formally received into the M.E. church by the Rev.
W.F. Glenn.
---

LIBEL FOR DIVORCE
Georgia, Carroll County Superior Court
April Term 1878

S.N. Posey vs. E.C. Posey

It appearing to the Court by the return of the Sheriff that the defendant does
not reside in this county and it further appearing that she does not reside in
this state. It is therefore ordered that the defendant appear at the next term
of this court and answer the complaint of the plaintiff and that service of
petition and process in this case be made by publication of this order once a
month for four months next preceding said term of court, else said case be in
default. Hugh Buchanan, J.S.C.C.
----

LIBEL FOR DIVORCE
Georgia, Carroll County Superior Court
April Term 1878

Carrie C. Gibbs vs. Wm. G. Gibbs

It appearing to the Court by the return of the Sheriff that the defendant does
not reside in this county and it further appearing that he does not reside in
this state, it is therefore ordered by the court that said defendant appear at
the next term of this court and answer the complaint of the plaintiff and that
service of the petition and process in this case be made by publication of this
order once a month for four months next preceding the next term of this court
and that said case stand for trial at said term. This April 4, 1878. Hugh
Buchanan, J.S.C.C.
----

LOCAL News

Married at the residence of the bride's father Mr. James A. Bass, on Sunday the
2nd inst., at 8 o'clock by the Rev. Wm. Dimmick, Mr. James J. Juhan to Miss
Lula Bass. Immediately after the ceremony the groom and bride attended
services at the M.E. church, when at the close, they received the
congratulations of their friends. To the newly wedded pair, we extend our best
wishes for their future welfare and happiness.
------

>From COUNTY LINE LODGE No. 159, F.A.M.
May 22, 1878

Through an Allwise Providence, we are called upon to record the death of our
beloved brother John W. Richards, who departed this life on the 24th day of
March 1878, aged 53 years, 2 months and 14 days. We feel that in his death the
Lodge has lost one of its most submissive and peaceable members, the community
a valuable citizen, his family a kind, affectionate husband and father. We
greatly sympathize witht he widow and orphans in their sad bereavement.

Resolved, that in token of our regard for brother John W. Richards, we wear the
usual badge of mourning for thirty days.

Resolved, that this tribute of respect be published in The Carroll County Times
and that a copy be presented to his bereaved family.

Rev. W.L. Davenport
J.A. Wilson
H.M. Head
M.D. Watkins, Committee
----

LOCAL News

One of the twin children of Mr. Wm. Beall of this place died last Tuesday and
was buried last Wednesday.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, JUNE 14, 1878

BILLOW News

A gloom has been case over our community by the death of our venerable neighbor
and friend, Uncle Johnnie Arnold, whose illness we mentioned previously. He
died about 5 o'clock a.m. last Monday. His funeral was preached by Rev. David
Stripling at 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the old camp ground before the interment of
the body. Uncle Johnnie was a highly respected citizen, a good neighbor and no
doubt a genuine, good man in every sense. He was quiet and unobtrusive in his
way, made but little noise in the world, but possessed a noble, honest heart.
The writer of this has known him for years and he has always found him the same
sober, honest, straight-forward man. Never knew or heard of his doing anything
wrong, but always found him industriously employed about his own business. He
leaves many relatives and a host of friends to weep, but is our prayer that we
may all meet in that land where all tears are wiped from our eyes. Selah.
----

LOCAL News

Mr. Abraham S. Harris, an old citizen of Troup county died at his residence in
LaGrange last week. He had been a native of Troup county since 1831 or 1832.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, JUNE 21, 1878

LOCAL News

Married, on the 12th of June at the residence of the bride's father, Mr.
George M.L. Spence of Kansas district to Miss Emma L. Rowe of the Sixth
district, the ceremony being performed by P.H. Chandler, N.P.
----

IN MEMORY OF OLIVER BARRON by
Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ

While we as a church and people are yet spared to live, we would not forget to
notice the death of our much esteemed brother Oliver Barron, who died at home,
Feb. 5th 1878. His suffering was long and great, yet he bore it patiently and
without a murmur. He has lived a life that should be an example to all that
are left behind to mourn his loss. And when death made its appearance to him,
he seemed not to fear it and was heard in deep supplication and prayer to God
in the last hour of his life and was perfectly resigned to his Master's will
which leaves the brightest evidence to us that he now dwells in Heaven where
God has prepared for all his people.

Now while the family has lost one of its most affectionate sons and brothers,
the church one of its brightest jewels and the community one of its most gentle
and promising young men, be it resolved;

That we the Mt. Zion Bapatist church of Christ, tender our heartfelt sympathy
to the bereaved family hoping their loss is his eternal gain.

Tis true that Oliver is gone Home,
And dwells with angels round the throne;
There to enjoy that Heavenly land,
And join in praises to the Lamb.
----

LOCAL News

Mrs. A.G. Fambrough who lives near The Rock, Upson County, spent several days
in town the first of the week on a visit to her daughter Mrs. G.A. Gardner.
The husband of Mrs. F. was one of the early settlers of this county and was its
representative in the legislature when the county site was changed to this
place. He moved away soon afterwards and now lives in Upson county.
---

MT. CARMEL News

Mrs. Laine, wife of John Laine, died at her home in Paulding county last week.
Mrs. Laine was a noble christian. She shouted the praise of God with her dying
breath. Disease, consumption.
---

Mrs. Fanny Cruze, wife of Mr. Zach Cruze, died of consumption in Paulding
county recently. She was a lovely young lady, as all will testify who knew her.
---

SIMSVILLE News

One by one they continue to go. Only a few days ago we were grieved at the
loss of our old friend Eley Cochran, and now on last Tuesday, we are called to
mourn the death of Mr. Jas. Dobbs. For some time Mr. Dobbs had been afflicted
with a chronic disease which has kept him very feeble for over a year.
----

OBITUARY OF MRS. ELIZA W. CARSON

Mrs. Eliza W. Carson, wife of James W. Carson and eldest daughter of Jackson
and Sarah Neely, was born in Chester district, S.C. Aug. 3rd, 1813 and died at
her residence near Sand Hill, Carroll county, Georgia May 25th 1878.

At an early age she gave her heart to the Lord and her hand to the Methodist
church in the fellowship of which she lived a bright light till death had done
its work. She was strongly attached to that denomination, though an earnest
friend of all religious sects. She was a woman of marked character, firm and
unswerving in the discharge of duty. She attended strictly public worship, not
only to her own church but others, seeming to enjoy t e worship of God in any
santuary. Bro. Carson being a member of the Baptist church, she was a regular
to attend his meetings as he was himself. There was that unity of love and
goodness existing in these that should characterize all Christians.

Aunt Liza, as she was familarly known, was sick only a few days. During that
time many visited her. She constantly expressed her willingness to depart and
be with Jesus.

This excellent woman in the severity of her sufferings trusted in God who
impressed His image and sealed it for the courts above. She died as she had
lived, in the triumphs of christian faith.

She leaves many relatives and friends to mourn her departure. To her two
grandsons that she almost idolized, and that have neither father nor mother to
care for them, remember your grandmother is gone, her admonitions and prayers
have ceased for you on this earth. But remember, oh, remember her last words,
her dying words, that she trusted in Jesus, "meet me in heaven." Let these
sentiments sink deep into your young hearts.

To her aged and afflicted companion, be of good cheer. It won't be long till
your toils will end and then you will have the happy privilege of striking
hands on the other shore with the one you most love.

May God in his tenderness take the bereaved husband, children and grandchildren
beneath his special care and guidance. Wesleyan Christian Advocate and
Newnan Herald, please copy.
----

BOWDON News

An old lady departed this life on last Saturday night by the name of Miss
McElreath. She was the widow Smith's aunt and had been living with her ever
since she has been keeping house. She has been a member of the P.M. church for
many years. She left the church militant to join the church triumphant. She
was said to be over one hundred years old. Never was married. She suffered
greatly before she died. She longed to see her change come and often prayed for
it. Just before she died she called over the name of her departed relations as
though she saw them or anticipated soon to be with them. Through she was a
hundred years old when she left these shores, she is gone where she will ever
be in the bloom of youth.
----

We learn that there was a difficulty in Bowdon last Monday evening, which came
very near resulting seriously. It seems that there was an old charge of some
kind against John Stogner Jr. and upon his coming into town last Monday
evening, the Marshall attempted to arrest him. Stogner drew his pistol and
presented it at the marshall. The marshall then summoned all present to help
take Stogner and the crowd gathered him and undertook to take his pistol from
him. In the scuffle the pistol went off, the ball passing through the under
part of Thomas Smith's thumb and through John Shelnutt's hat, grazing his head.
Those are the facts as they come to us.
----

LOCAL News

Married, at the residence of the bride's father by the Rev. J.M.D. Stallings,
on the 10th inst., Mr. C.C. Stamps to Miss S.C.B. Burnam. All of this county.
---

Mr. McBride of Haralson county, father of Murdock McBride, is dead.
---

Mrs. Mary E. Cantrell, wife of A.O. Cantrell of Fairburn died at Americus April
12th 1878.
---

NEWSPAPER Issue of Friday, JUNE 28, 1878

CUTTING AT TALLAPOOSA

A cutting scrape, we learn, occurred at Tallapoosa, Haralson county, one day
last week which may result seriously to one of the parties engaged. It seems
that an old feud existed betwen King McBride and a Mr. Stidham. The latter
being in Tallapoosa, the old matter was brought up from warm words; the parties
soon got to fighting in which knives were used pretty freely. McBride received
three cuts and Stidham some five or six before they were separated. Some of
the wounds of Stidham are considered quite serious and it is thought may result
in death.

McBride was in our town last Monday in attendance upon the U.S. commissioner's
court as a witness when deputy sheriff Hunt arrived here for the purpose of
arresting him, owing to the serious condition of Stidham.
We heave heard that Stidham says that he did not cut McBride as he had no
knife. That McBride was cut, and that pretty badly, there can be no doubt, as
he showed the wounds to several parties while here.
----

NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN THE LAMBERT MURDER

We understand that Gallamore who was bound over in the Lambert murder case in
Haralson county has recently made a confession, in which he has implicated two
other parties besides the three bound over. The names of those parties are
James Rowe and J.W. Nunn, and both were arrested last week, the former in Rome
and the latter in Polk county. Rowe, we believe, lives in Haralson county and
Nunn in Polk. Nunn, since his arrest, has also made a confession, which
comfirms Gallamore.

According to the confession, one of the Chisolm's and Rowe did the shooting.
When they first shot Lambert they did not kill him and Chisolm ran after him
for the purpose of cutting his throat, but as Lambert was out running him, he
shot him again. Rowe and Nunn were carried to Buchanan last week to stand
their committal trial.

The Chisolms who were confined in the jail at Cedartown have recently been
removed to Atlanta as rumors were afloat of a conspiracy to burn up the town in
order to secure their rescue.
----

Mr. Cyrus B. York of Cobb county is dead.
---

Dr. I.H. Roberson of Heard county who has been in the Lunatic Asylum several
months, returned home last week much improved physically and mentally.
---

OBITUARY OF NANCY N. COLMAN

Another of our number has gone to her rest. Sister Nancy N. Colman fied very
suddenly at the residence of her father's, E.C. Earnest, in Carroll County,
Ga., March the 29th 1878. She would have been 58 years old the first day of
April. Sister Colman professed religion and joined the Methodist church very
young and has ever been faithful to her trust in God. At twelve years old she
was taken with white swelling which made her a cripple for life. She was left a
widow many years ago with two little children. She has known nothing but
trouble and affliction in life but in all of this she has never been known to
murmur or complain. She was loved by all who knew her and envied by none. She
leaves many friends to mourn her loss and among them an aged father who is soon
to follow and join the company of wife and children that has gone before.
Sister C. has gone to her long sought rest in the sweet by and by. May all her
relatives imitate her virtues and meet her in heaven.

She is safe in Jesus' arms and blest,
WIth Jesus' smiles and care,
Sheltered from every chilling blast,
Nothing can harm here there.

J.M. McCalmon, Pastor
----

BOWDON News

J.H. Word, Esq., solemnized the rites of matrimony between Thomas Osborn and
Miss Mary F. Holdrige last Sunday morning before breakfast. All of Bowdon.
---

File at: http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ga/carroll/newspapers/newspape2617nw.txt

This file has been created by a form at http://www.poppet.org/gafiles/

File size: 37.3 Kb