GAEMANUE-L Archives

Archiver > GAEMANUE > 2002-08 > 1029455563

From: "Billy C. Lewis" <>
Subject: RE: [GAEMANUE-L] Re: Mary Lewis
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:52:43 -0700

Carol,
Yes, Jesse was a brother of your Mary who married Henry Brown. And John and
Nancy were their parents. I will enclose all my notes on John and Nancy.

"Pioneers of Wiregrass, Georgia, Volume VIII, Page 269, Compiled and
Published by the Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc."
John Lewis (RS) and his wife, Nancy Ward, were the parents of Jesse Lewis
and grandparents of Mary "Polly" Lewis.

"Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers of Georgia, Page 109"
John Lewis was born in Chowan County, North Carolina in 1733 and died in
Burke County, Georgia on January 3, 1818. He served as a Private in the
North Carolina Line. He was married in March 1768 to Nancy Lavina Ward, who
was born in 1744 in North Carolina and died in Georgia in 1784. They had
four children (known): Jesse, Mary, James, and Matthew.

"Georgia Revolutionary Soldiers, Sailors, Patriots and Descendants, Volume
1, Page. 135"
John Lewis, (RS-Pvt-NC), born in 1733 in Virginia and died in 1818 in Burke
County, Georgia. He married (1) Nancy Lavinia Ward, and (2) Susannah
Johnson. His known children were James, Jesse, Matthew, and Mary.

"Lewis Family History, 1594-1896, compiled by Robert Ellis Colson"
Note: There is a John Lewis buried in Old Church Methodist Cemetery, south
of Waynesboro. There are no dates on the tombstone, only his name and that
he served in the Revolutionary War in North Carolina. Since Ransome Lewis
is also buried at Old Church some researchers have (mistakenly ?) identified
John as Ransome's father. No relationship has been documented, but John
Lewis is presented here to try and separate the facts.

John Lewis (1733-1818)
John Lewis was born in 1733 in Chowan (Craven?) County, North Carolina. In
1768 he married his first wife, Nancy Lavinia Ward. Various sources state
this marriage as being in North Carolina or St. George's Parish, Burke
County, Georgia.

One John Lewis received a land grant in Burke County, Georgia on June 7,
1774 of 100 acres "bounded on the south by land formerly of Bourington".
This land grant had been surveyed for a John Lewis the previous year.

Nancy (Ward) Lewis was born in 1744 and died in 1784. John's second wife
was Susannah Johnson.

John Lewis' service in the Revolutionary War in North Carolina was listed as
that of "Patriot". He did not fight, but furnished supplies to the North
Carolina Militia.

John Lewis died in Burke County on January 3, 1818 and was buried in Old
Church Cemetery.

The Ransome Lewis (b. 1780) listed below as one of John's children would not
have been the same Ransome Lewis that is buried at old Church. The
tombstone of Ransome Lewis list date of birth as 1807. For this lineage to
be correct there would have to be a Ransome Lewis, Sr. (b. 1780) and a
Ransome Lewis, Jr. (b. 1807).

Children: (By first wife, Nancy Lavinia Ward)
1. James Lewis
2. Mathew Lewis
3. Jesse Lewis (1775-1817) m. Mary Clifton
4. Mary Lewis b. 1771 ??
5. Ransome Lewis b. 1780

(By second wife, Susannah Johnson)
6. Benjamin Lewis
7. Daughter
8. Esther Lewis
9. Daniel Lewis

"Pioneer of Wiregrass, Georgia, Volume VIII, Page 269, Compiled and
Published by the Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc."
John Lewis (RS) and his wife, Nancy Ward, were the parents of Jesse Lewis
and the grandparents of Mary "Polly" Lewis.

"Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers in Georgia, Page 109"
In March 1768, John Lewis married Nancy Lavinia Ward, who was born in North
Carolina in 1744 and died in Georgia in 1784. They had four known children:
Jesse, Mary, James, and Matthew.
Note that this John was born in 1733 and died January 03, 1818 and Nancy was
born in 1744 and died in 1784.

That is all I have. Hope it helps.
Bill Lewis