GAFORSYT-L Archives

Archiver > GAFORSYT > 2002-11 > 1037162927

From: "Gail Moore" <>
Subject: Re: [GAFORSYT]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:41:50 -0800

This is where I am at so far:

Isaac Casey I have him on the 1820 Census SC Spartanburg, SC on page 269

(my reasoning for checking for him there at this time was due to and I again
quote from the book "The Family History of Thomas Martin, Sr. A North
Carolinian American Revolutionary Soldier" by Jenny Martin Fagg p. 88)

Hicks Martin (5. Thomas Martin, Jr., Thomas Martin, Sr., William Martin,
Sr.) was born 10 March, 1822 in York Dist. SC and died 4 June 1914 in Mt.
Zion, Carroll County, GA. Hicks married Margaret Casey 7 January 1844 in
Forsyth Co., GA. She was born 24 December 1821 in South Carolina, probably
Spartanburg Dist. and died 24 February 1903 in Mt. Zion, Carroll Co. GA.
They are both buried in Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery. Margaret is the
Daughter of Isaac and Dicey (______) Casey.

As you can see Spartanburg Dist. SC and Isaac Casey began my interest right
here in this quoted section of this book as Margaret Casey Martin and Hicks
Martin were my GGGreat Grandparents)

So on this 1820 Census his numbers are as such:
10001040100 no slaves

On this same page are listed: Jesse, Joseph, Wm., and Randolph Casey as
well.

In 1830 he is found in Laurens Co. SC and happens to show up on the same
page with a ton of Dalrymples who also join into this family of mine later
on down the line.

His numbers on this census are as follows:
001010001- - - 010011 - - - - - -
His name is Isaac Case (sic)

On the 1840 Census I found him in Forsyth Co. GA Enumerated by John Jolly
MC 704-41 page. 283
Isaac Casey 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
James Crow
Margaritt Martin 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
Toliver P. Martin 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Then about the middle of this same page are listed these Casey men
Robert Casey 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
Washington Casey 0 0 0 0 1 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So at this time Hicks or Hix as he is sometimes seen is still in SC or
either comes a bit later and in between the two censuses and stays with
family already here.

But Isaac is already living here in Forsyth Co. Ga and has been for some
time now.

By the magic 1850 Census we now see them right on the same page and right
down the street from each other.
I also noted that a lot of folks named Gober live nearby do they some how
connect into these families some how??

Isaac Casey is on 1850 and so is Hix Martin

GA Forsyth Co. 1850 Samuel Paxton Oct. 4 M432-69
page 203 #817 #817
Isaac Casey 62 m farmer SC can not read or write
Dicy 58 f SC Dicy Kittle she married
first to a Jackson and then to Isaac Casey well, well now we have a surname
for Dicy.

Their children:
James 22 m farmer GA can not read or write
Martha 40 f SC (none in the house can
read or write at all not Isaac, Dicy or any of them)
Susan 24 f SC
Dorcas 18 f GA
William 12 m GA
William Jackson 8 m GA

Hum...........so William Jackson would appear to belong to Dicy Kittle by
her 1st. marriage to a Jackson. Dicey is 6 years younger than Isaac. Who
is Martha still living in the home at age 40 she could not be a child of
Dicey's I would not think and note the surname does not change for her as it
did for William Jackson age 8. So she appears to be a Casey so is she
Isaac's Sister or is she his child by a former marraige?

Living at #818 is a Jno W. Gober family

#819 #819 brings us to

Hix Martin 28 m farmer 100 SC He can read
Margaret 28 f SC can not read or
write Casey b. 1822 in SC his wife
William H. 6 m GA
Rhoda C. 4 f GA
Frances M. 3 f GA
James A. 1 m GA

By the 1860 I have him in Floyd Co. GA Waters Dist. McGuires Store P.O.
Wm Johnson July 24 M653-121

p. 291 #1095 Isaac Casey 66 m w farmer 600 250 SC and now under
reading and writting it has a (2) does this mean for 2 years now or what?
Dicey 60 f domestic SC
James H. 28 m laborer GA
William M. 21 laborer GA
Susan 26 domestic GA
Marcus 22 f domestic GA is this really Dorcus?
Martha 32 f domestic GA
William J. 18 m laborer GA all listed white

at #1096 is:
Susan Holland 45 f farmer SC 300 150 2
Johnson F. 20 m Laborer SC
Mary J. 18 f domestic SC
James Holland 23 m farmer MS 300 1
Martha 22 f domestic GA
James W. 1/2 m

Is Susan Holland Isaac Casey and Dicey's Susan and now a widow or alone and
head of family?

Then for the first time ever I find:

GA Murrary Co. 984th Dist. GM Spring Place P.O.
Robert M. Rambert 25 June 593-167
Page 536 #164 #164
Isaac Casey 62 m w farmer 300 110 SC 1 male vote
Lilley 63 f w Keeping house SC
Rebecca Rodgers 103 f w no occupation SC

Next door to him is
#165 #165
Isaac Casey 21 m w farmer 300 175 SC can not write 1 male
vote
Mary E. 34 f w keeping house GA can't write
Jesse M. 2 m w GA
Harriet C. Jones 13 f B at home GA school cant
write
Hugh H. 9 m w at home GA

Then online on LDS website for the 1880 AKA Family Search you will see if
you go to the 1880 Census for Org. Murray County

#334/43 Isaac Casey Sen. age 70 SC SC SC
Lila 73 SC SC SC

#335/44 Isaac H. Casey, Jun. 34 GA SC SC
Mary E Casey 47
(Marriages: 1860-71, p. 112 Isaac E. to Mary E. Jones)
Jesse 12
Isaac III 7
Harriett Jones step daughter 23

336/45 Adjoining Homes:
Hugh H. Jones 18
Vadie 19
Hubbard Nations 21
Abner 22
(Living with Isaac, Sen. Shown as written to indicate possible close
relationship between Abner and Hubbard Nations, also Kenner)
333/42 Kenner Nations 30
Dianna 27 b. SC
Lila Nations 10
Absolem 8
James 6
Martha 4
Florence V. 2
Angelina 4/12
332/41
Sarah Casey 55 Susan b. SC
Dycus E. 49 Sister
Erdice C. Eonie? 8}
Catharine E. 7}
Henry M. I. 4}
}these are the children of Fannie and Wm. J. Johnson b. GA
Stepfather b. TN Fannie b. GA
296/305 Nimrod Casey 52 SC SC SC
Sarah A. 46 SC SC SC
Louisa 20 b. GA
Pinkney O 17 b. GA
George 12 b. GA
Wm. 10 b. GA
Frank 6 b. GA
297/306 William M. Casey 47 SC SC SC
Adaline 46 SC SC SC
Wm. A. 16 SC SC SC
Amanda L. Anna 12 SC SC SC
James T. 15
Ella F. 10 (Ellen?)
(See Gordon County Marriages: BK C, p. 131 James T. Casey to Mrs. Maggie
Fortenberry.)
394/404 John G. Casey 40 SC SC SC
Narcissa A. 38 GA GA GA
Emma 13
Lucy A. 10
Susan A. 7
See New Prospect Cemetery Emma Joseph b. GA
See "Caseys Springs Church" Land deeded by Isaac Casey

GA Carroll County Turkey Creek 1240 GM Leander G. Entriken 6
June T623-134
Enum. Dist. 11 Visit #76 Sheet 5 Line 3
Martin, Hicks H W M Mar. 1822 72 M 56 _ _ SC SC SC _ _ _
Physician owns home free of Mortgage, Employed
Margaret W W F Dec. 1821 72 M 56 11 9 SC SC SC

Visit 77 Casey, William H W M July 1833 66 M 38 _ _ GA SC SC
Farmer Rents farm #68 Employed
Harriett A. W W F Dec. 1833 66 M 38 9 7 GA GA GA
Henry M. A. S W M May 1876 24 S GA GA GA farm
Laborer fully employed

On Visit #45 Sheet 3 Line 50 is:
Martin, James H W F? Aug. 1849 50 M 31 _ _ GA SC GA _ _ _ Physician
Owns farm free of Mortgage #42
Rosina W W F Apr 1857 48 M 31 10 9 GA GA GA
Zorah F. D. W F. Oct. 1880 19 S GA GA GA
Mamie H. D W F Aug. or July 1883 16 S GA GA GA
Henry F. S W M July 1889 10 S GA GA GA
Clifton J. S W M Dec. 1891 8 S GA GA GA

Both Mamie and Henry are in school and have been for 8 months.

Just recieved some of this today in mail from Atlanta, GA

Hope this helps others as well.

Do any of you now have any idea of who my Isaac Casey is the son of???

Gail

This thread: