GAGE-L Archives

Archiver > GAGE > 2002-06 > 1023031555

From: "Richard D. Reddick" <>
Subject: [GAGE] Gage, Jame b. 1754 NY md a Ross in NC
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:27:56 -0700

On Gage Message Board
Arkansas- Gage
Author: Tina Cannon ReevesDate: 27 Jan 2002 2:33 AM GMT
Classification: Query
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.gage/797

While looking for my Cannons in Northwest AR, I came across this
information. I hope it helps.

This is from, " Arkansas Pensioners 1818-1900, Records of Some Arkansas
Residents Who Applied to The Federal Goverment for Benefits Aarising from
Service in Federal Military Organizations (Revolutionary War, War of 1812,
Indian and Mexican Wars)" Compiled by Dorothy E. Payne

And that's just the title page.

Gage, James-Revolutionary War Pensions Application #S32262, dated 22 Sept.
1837, Madison County, AR. He was born 9 Sept. 1754 in Woodbury Township,
about 15 miles from the town of New York, in what is now the State of New
York. He entered service at the plantation of John Withers in Rutherford
County, North Carolina 1 June 1776. Captain Robert Porter was in command of
the company. They built a fort to furnish security of the local residents
against the Indians He again entered service 1 Nov. 1778 under command of
Captain Thomas against the Tories, While living on Fair Gorest Creek in
South Carolina. He reentered the service in South Carolina at the home of
his father in law, William Ross (with whom he lived), 25 Nov 1778. He was
again living in Rutherford County, NC , where he had moved with his family,
when he reentered service in 1780. He was discharged 1 Jan. 1781. He stated
that he lived in Rutherford Co., NC about 30 years, from there he moved to
TN, from there to Alabama, back to TN, thence to Washington Co, Territory
of AR and finally to Madison County , AR. Affidavit by Alexander Ross ,age
66 in 1837, Madison County, "that William Ross (father in law) mentioned by
James Gage is my father."

1850 Federal Census, Madison County, AR , page 273: John Gage 43 TN; Lydian
35 MO.; Rhoda16 AR.; Sarah 14 AR; William 13 AR; Eliza Jane 11 AR; John 9
AR; James 7 AR; Susan 5 AR; Margaret 2 AR; William 67 NC; Rhoda 64 KY;
Lucinda 22 TN

Okay, now before you think I made a mistake the Nov 1, 1778 date, and the
Nov. 25, 1778 date as reentering the service is as it is shown in the book.

Gage, William- War of 1812 pension application S.O #27605, S. C. #19943. W.
O. #42128, W. C. #34371. B.L.W. #42819-80-50 canceled, #20841-80-50 and
#42819-80-50 duplicate. Service in Captain John Cowen's Co. of Tennessee
Militia from 28 Sep.1814 to 29 March 1815. Married first to Clara---?
Statement by Stephen Gage , age 65 in 1883, "William Gage is my father, I
came to Arkansas Territory with him in 1829
, and settled in Madison CO. My mother, Colara Gage died in Madison County
in June 1838." William Gage married second Elizabeth Cates Blain in
Washington Co. AR on 27 August 1840. She was the widow of Elam Blair, who
died in 1833 in Scott County. After the death of Elam , Elizabeth had
returned to her father's home in Washington Co. Affidavit by Sarah Evans,
aged 68 " I first became aquainted with William Gage in the year 1829, at
this time my father, James Cannon was moving from Tennessee to Arkansas, as
well as myself and the other members of his family. We camped one night in
Memphis TN and met with William Gage and several others of the Gage Family.
We traveled together the next day and that night camped at Black Fish Lake
in Arkansas. My father and family went on and settled in Washington Co.
Isaac Cates, the father of Elizabeth Gage (then Cates) lived about 5 or 6
miles from us what was called Little Illinois Creek. William and Elizabeth
Gage stopped at our house on their return to Madison Co. agter their
marriage, because Richland Creek was to high for them to cross. William
Gage had with him a very fine horse which became sick and died while they
were at our house. My daughter, Martha, was born not long after they
departed." William Gage died 16 July 1879 in Sub Rosa , Franklin County,
AR. Widows application dated 26 Nov 1881, Franklin County, she was 66 years
old.

1850 Federal Census, Franklin Co. AR, Mill Creek Township page 143 Family
553: William Gage 57 NC; Elizabeth 34 TN; James 15 AR; John 13 AR; Sarah10
AR; George 8 AR; Eliza 6 AR; Marion 4 AR; Susan 2 AR; Tennessee 1/12 AR,
Martha Blare 16 AR; Lucinda Blare 13 AR.

If the Gage family has any connection to the Cannon family please let me
know.

Tina Cannon Reeves

This thread: