GAGREENE-L Archives

Archiver > GAGREENE > 2008-02 > 1202643855

Subject: [GAGREENE] Backus/Baccus, Maxey
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 06:44:15 -0500

Looking for information on the Backus and Baccus families of Greene Co.
Augustus Backus m. Mary Partee abt. 1855. Children:

1. Martha C. ("Mattie), b. 1856, m. Robert Harrison Wilson
2. Lucinda J. ("Lucy"), b. abt. 1858
3. George, b. abt. 1859
4. Augustus B. (aka "Bartie" & "Barto"), b. abt. 1861

Augustus Sr. died in Richmond in 1862. Mary was still living in the
Scull Shoals area and drawing a widow's pension in neighboring Oconee Co.
until abt. 1907. Daughter, Martha, is my gg grandmother. The other
three children I have found very little information on. Can't find any
of them after the 1880 census, except possibly Augustus Jr. There was a
"Barto Beckers" on the 1920 Greene Co. census, but I'm not sure if this
is him, even though the age matches up.

The Baccus family was originally from Walton/Morgan counties. Augustus
Sr. grew up in west GA in Haralson Co., but apparently moved to Greene
Co. by 1855 where he married and started his own family (his father and
siblings remained in Haralson Co.). I believe the Baccus families in
Greene Co. are probably related to Augustus.

I am also interested in the Bartholomew Maxey family. He may have been a
close friend to Augustus. They served together in the Oglethorpe Rifles
and Maxey testified to Augustus' service and death for Mary's widow's
pension application. The only other record I have found for daughter
Lucy Backus other than census records is an 1886 newspaper clipping that
states: "Miss Lucy J. Backus visited the Misses Maxeys last Sunday."
This was in Macedonia and I am assuming the daughters of Bartholomew
Maxey.

Any information on these persons appreciated.

My Greene Co. surnames are WILSON, PARTEE, BACKUS, CARR, JOHNSON.

Darleen Miller

This thread: