GAMADISO-L Archives

Archiver > GAMADISO > 2008-05 > 1210661915

From: "Connie Epps Bond" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMADISO] Looking for info about John Pinkney Bryant andFamilyfrom around 1810
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 02:58:35 -0400

Hope you already had this information, but just in case.

The family may have been in other counties, and may never have moved due to
changes in counties.
I attended the COGS meeting about two years ago and a speaker stated that
his relatives had lived in 7 counties and three states and had NEVER MOVED.

I am sure you have read census line by line.

In several instances, names are spelled nothing like they are spelled. One
census taker wrote down Clayton, Pon for my relative who was Pugh, Clayton.
I found this reading line by line. In another instance the name looked like
Henderson, Egbert, again reading line by line, I found the family living
next door to her parents. And I too would have transcribed the last name as
Henderson but it was Herndon.

_________
County creation dats for surrounding counties:

Clarke (25) - December 5, 1801
Jackson County.
a.. Elbert (13) - December 10, 1790
Wilkes County.

Franklin (9) - February 25, 1784
Cherokee cession of May 31, 1783 and Creek cession of November 1, 1783, an
original County.

Greene (11) - February 3, 1786
Washington County.

Jackson (22) - February 11, 1796
Franklin County.

Madison (38) - December 5, 1811
Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson and Oglethorpe Counties.

a.. Morgan (32) - December 10, 1807
Baldwin County.
Oglethorpe (19) - December 19, 1793

a.. Oconee (135) - February 25, 1875
Clarke.

Wilkes County.

Wilkes (8) - February 5, 1777
Cherokee cession and Creek cession both of June, 1, 1773, an original County
______________________

Different researchers spell the last name differently and it may be found
that way in the documents that are found.

Joshua Epps married Mary Bent 27 Sep 1840 Clarke Co., GA.
Some of the researchers think this Bent may have been Bryant.
Another researcher spelled the last name as shown below:

Joshua EPPS b: 1817 in GA

Mary (Polly) BRIANT b: abt 1825

John P Bryant married Cooper, Virginia 17 Sept 1833 Madison Co., GA.

I believe Oglethorpe Co., GA has a 1800 census in the Oglethorpe library.

Would this be his son? I assume you have looked at the death certs in the
Georgia Virtual online vault?
http://content.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/gadeaths.php

Title Bryant, John Pinkney
Birth Date 1848-05-05
Age at Death 71 years 9 months 26 days
County of Death Chattooga
Date of Death 1920-03-01
Year of Death 1920
First Name John Pinkney
Last Name Bryant
Race or Ethnic Origin Caucasian

Certificate Number 7567
Sex Male

Format Document

Cite as Death Certificates, Vital Records, Public Health, RG 26-5-95,
Georgia Archives

Digital Collection Georgia Death Certificates

Filename 004177086_00232.jpg

I sometimes look at the Bryant information because a Bryant/Bent/Briant
married an Epps and I am researching the Epps lines.

Good luck.