GAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GAMORGAN > 2000-06 > 0959956485

From: "L.D. Rinald" <>
Subject: [GAMORGAN] William Woods Downs
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 07:34:45 -0700

Posted on: Morgan County, GA Query Forum
Board URL: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/USA/Ga/Morgan?read=808

Surname: Downs
-------------------------

Tracey I will check to see what I have on William Woods children -He settled
in The Waco area of Tx. Bt 1856 or so -His wife was Henrietta Sparks -He
was a Very influential Man in the Waco area-His son John Westley Downs
was editor of the Waco Examiner and they kept that newspsper for many Yrs.-Before
gong to Tx. William Wood Downs lived in Milliageville,Ga . was Justice
of the peace and participated in the militia Preperations which was to
protect against the Seminole and Creek uprising-abt 1840's . If you look
in the Handbook of Texas--online -there is a writeup on William Wood Downs
also-there was a place called Downsville near Waco-where he had extensive
cotton Plantations -before the Civil war-he lost a Good deal of his fortune,
helping the confederate cause.-He also lost two sons.Do you have more info
on your relative? -e-mail to me and I will check-i have only the children
of William Wood downs -not their descendents.--Llewellyn

This thread: