GARDNER-L Archives

Archiver > GARDNER > 2001-12 > 1007590236

From: Nancy Clayton <>
Subject: [GARDNER] GARDNER/GARNER of Scott County, VA 1800s
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:10:36 -0600

Hello: I'm searching for any info about my Sarah GARNER/GARDNER and
William KING family who lived in southwest Virginia from the 1700s till
the 1830s.

Thanks for any help. Nancy :-)

William KING
We know he was living in Virginia - either Russell or Lee County - just
before they became part of Scott County. Also, he may have been living
in North Carolina around 1810-1814 - where two children were born.
He moved his family to Claiborne County, TN sometime around 1830.

William King born July 10, 1779 in Delaware or Virginia ??
died Sept 27, 1865 in Claiborne County, Tennessee

My William King married Sarah (Hammer?) GARNER in Carter County, TN on
August 19, 1803.
She was born August 24, 1781 - but we are not sure where - possibly
Virginia or North Carolina. Sarah died March 30, 1862. We don't know who
her parents were. Could they be the GARDNER line of Scott County, VA?

There is a William KING family on the 1820 Scott County, VA census, with
children's birth years that match the family. (There are also two other
KING families living in Scott County in 1820 -- both John KING
households. Could these be brothers of my William?)

William and Sarah moved to Claiborne County, TN around 1830.
William and Sarah had 11 children:

> 1. Elias KING
b. June 9, 1806 Virginia (Russell or Lee or Scott counties?)
d. Sept 1867 Whitt Cemetery, Carter County, Kentucky
m. Isabella HORTON

Children:
Francis Marion KING m. Rebecca Ann WHITT
Sabra (Sabery) KING m. Samuel MOBLEY
Joseph Newton KING m. Verlina GREEN
Elkana KING
Samuel Houston KING m. Elizabeth MOBLEY
Van Buren KING m. Nancy J. COUNTS
Calous Calla KING m. James ELLIOTT
Sarah B. KING m. Robert Letcher ROSE
Lauretta KING m. Charles KITCHEN
Jasper KING
Caroline KING
Julian J. KING
Cana KING ?

> 2. Rosa Ozina W.(Rosie) KING
b. Oct 16, 1810 West Virginia? North Carolina?
d. Aug 30, 1888 Claiborne Ct, TN
m. (1st) _________ CARRINGER
(2nd) Rev. Nathan HOBBS

> 3. Elcana David KING
b. 21 FEB 1814 North Carolina
d. 4 MAY 1900 Union County, TN
m. Mary FLANARY

Children: James M, Lucinda, Hiram, William, Amanda, Labourn,
John Cox (m. Amanda GOFORTH), Thomas, Nathan, Elkana,JR

> 4. Hiram C. KING
b. 1815 or 1816 Virginia
d. abt 1880 TN
m. (1st) Elizabeth NEIL (NEAL)
(2nd) Emily BALES

Children: Floyd, Henry M Jr, Elbert C, Joseph F, Melvin C,
Alice (m. CARR), Martha Ozina (m. CADLE),
Maggie (m. KING), Mary A, Rufus, Ollie M, Bent

> 5. Jennie Margaret KING
b. June 13, 1818 Claiborne Co. TN
d. June 14, 1898 Claiborne Co. TN
m. Robert (Robin) RITCHIE

Children: Taylor O. KING m. Martha E. BISHOP
Sallie KING m. Archiles Bales KESTERSON

> 6. David A. KING
b. about 1820 Virginia
d. about 1873 __________?
m. Susan FLETCHER

David was a Methodist Preacher - he was known as Reverend David
King. He married Suzanne FLETCHER about 1847. (They are my Grt-Grt
Grandparents.) Their son - Willie Fletcher KING married Martha
Elizabeth LAWS.

Children of the Rev. David King & Susan Fletcher:

Elizabeth King
Wesley King m. Elizabeth Harrell
Nathan H.(M.) King m. Samintha Meyers
Mary Evelyn King m. William Preston Goin
Sarah Rebecca King m. George W. Gose
Rhoda Jane King m. Frank Hollingsworth
James (Jim Monroe) King m. Mary E. Minton, Mariah Ford
Willie Fletcher King m. Martha Elizabeth Laws (My Great-Grandparents)
Abraham King
Emma King m. ________ Drummonds?
Margaret King

> 7. Elihu E. King
b. Dec 22, 1824 Virginia?
d. Jan 30, 1898 Tazewell, TN (Cedar Fork)
m. (1st) Elizabeth BUIS
(2nd) Susan HUNTER

Children:
Calas R. KING m. James A. KIBERT
Orlena KING
Margaret R. KING m. Charles W. SCOTT
Sabina E. KING m. Henry F. WILLIAMS
William A. KING m. Maggie HAYES
Robert R. KING m. Elizabeth CAYLOR
Taylor R. KING m. Albira BALDWIN
Joseph W. KING m. Margaret R. KING
Benton KING m. Corna ______?

> 8. Emily (Emilie) Minnie KING
b. 22 DEC 1824 Virginia?
d. 30 JAN 1898 Claiborne Co. TN

Emily never married - she is a twin to Elihu.

> 9. Lucinda KING
b. abt 1828
m. Thomas MOORE
Lucinda and Thomas Moore moved to Virginia

> 10. John KING
No information

> 11. Amy (Mary Ann)
b. 10 NOV 1826
d. 27 JUN 1904 Tazewell, TN

Mary Ann is listed on several sources as a daughter
of William King and Sarah Garner, but other researchers
have her being married to a KING, then to William BOWMAN.
We have yet to find out exactly who she
is.

William and Sarah Garner King are both buried in Coleman Cemetery,
Claiborne County, Tennessee.
We do know our Kings are said to have come to the New World (Virginia)
in the early 1600's - possibly in the Second Virginia Charter or later
-1620's to 1640's. We have always been told there were two King brothers
who came to Virginia because they could not pay their debts in Scotland
or England. They worked for 7 years to pay off their debts and married
Indian women.
One of my cousins always said there were 7 KING brothers from England
who lived in present-day West Virginia (late 1700s - early 1800s) who
later moved to Claiborne County (eastern Tennessee) sometime in the late
1700s or early 1800s?
Our William KING listed his birth place as Delaware on a census report.
There are many KING families in the 1700s in Delaware - is he from them?

This thread: