GARNER-L Archives

Archiver > GARNER > 2001-11 > 1005612929

Subject: Re: FW: FW: GARNER
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:55:29 EST

In a message dated 11/10/01 5:13:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> Subj: FW: FW: GARNER
> Date: 11/10/01 5:13:57 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From: (R. Greg Brown)

Barbara,

I have info on Faner Garner, dau. of John Garner (b. 1777NC, d Dec 1863
Lawrence Co., TN) but she is named as the Faner Week/Wicks in the court
settlement of her father's estate in the 1860s. I do not know the first name
of her husband and I can not find any other Lawrence Co. records, census,
etc., with her as a Weeks/Wicks. My notes for her follow.

Lawrence Co., Tenn., Inventories, Wills, Settlements, etc., 1852-67, p
370, for entry dated 6 Jul 1867, gives Faner Wicks as a child and heir of
John Garner deceased. She sells her share.

Lawrence Co., Minute Book, 1867-71, pp 92-93, for entry dated 14 Mar
1868, gives Faner Wicks entitled to an interest of 1/8th of the estate of
John Garner, deceased, sells her share to Wh. H. Hagan.

I found no Wicks in the 1850 or 1860 Ala. or Tenn. Census Index that
seemed to fit her or her husband. The fact that his share is 1/8th proves she
was a daughter of John Garner. Grandchildren only got fractions of 1/8th.
JEA

The Family Tree Maker's Genealogy web site gives Faner born abt 1822,
Lawrence Co., TN, married about 1842 to a Weeks, born about 1818.

Helen Swenson gives the following, and references the "Garner-Cole and
Related Families" by Harold Glen Garner, 1974.
Fanes (Faner) F. Garner was a daughter of John and Elizabeth Garner.
This is determined by Lawrence Co., TN Deed Records, 1866, Book M, P 424 -
"Fanes F. Weeks (or Wicks) sells to Hagan for $200 in gold my interest in
estate of my father, John Garner, my 1/8 part of estate." Year of birth or
marriage records have not been found.

The Lawrence Co., marriage records do have a Lanier Garner married to
Napolien B. Yancy 11 Aug 1837, Thos. Yancey bdmn.
There is a Thomas Yancey as head of family in the 1840 Lawrence Census. Also
there is a N. B. Yancy as head of household with 1 male 20-30 and 1 f u5, 1 f
15-20. This has to be Napolien and Lanier.

Do you have any information that would inicate that Lanier is the same as
Faner? If so she must have married the Wicks/Weeks after the death of
Napolien Yancy. There is no N. B. Yancy in the 1850 or 1860 Lawrence Co.or
1860 Giles Co., TN census. I find no marriage of a Lanier or Faner Yancy to
a Wicks/Weeks in either county. Your source for the children in apparently
was a 1850 census. If the Family Tree maker info about Faner marrying a
Weeks about 1842 is correct this would rule her out as being Lanier who was
still a Yancy in the 1850 census.

However, since Lanier and Nicholas apparently moved to Ark, maybe a check of
records would give and indication as to whether Lanier and Faner are the
same. If she and Nicholas are listed in the 1870 census there, she could not
be the same because she was mentioned in the 1860s as a Wicks/Weeks.

Besides the marriage of Lanier to Nicholas Yancy 11 Aug 1837 I also came
across two other Garner female marriages in Lawrence Co., TN, which may be
related to Lanier.
Cynthia Garner to James Clifton 1 Nov 1826
Lucinda Garner to Daniel McMasters 23 Sep 1835

They are not mentioned in John Garners estate settlement so I believe they
are connected to some other Garner.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.
John