GASTON-L Archives

Archiver > GASTON > 2010-05 > 1274828126


From: Margaret Dillard <>
Subject: [Gaston] Fwd: GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 39
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:55:26 -0400
References: <mailman.19302.1274822457.12642.gaston@rootsweb.com><AANLkTilEKL9TUXR-4XnGyo4pIjy2_hLyMdMdAeAj_fPq@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <AANLkTilEKL9TUXR-4XnGyo4pIjy2_hLyMdMdAeAj_fPq@mail.gmail.com>


sorry I hit the wrong button before completing. Pick up below

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Margaret Dillard <>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:37:42 -0400
Subject: Re: GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 39
To:

"History of Our Early Gaston Ancestry" compiled by Bettie Hill Tolbert
(Mrs. T.L. , Chesterfield, MO1975 (all is not verified --following
the death of Jean de Foix in battle with the Italians, Louis XII
chose to declare Jean's children as illigitimate and not the children
of Jean) traced the Gaston lineage to Otto of Saxony (no dates listed)
following Otto is Henry King of Germany (876-973). Due to Louis
declaring the 4 children of Jean de Foix, we have been deprived of our
heritage--unless these children are illigitimate. The only way this
can be cleared up is for a Gaston male with known and proven lineage
to William Gaston (de foix) and John Gaston ("The Hugeunot" who was
persecuted in France and escaped to Scotland) to submit to DNA and pay
the expenses to trace the Gaston lineage back. Probably will cost in
the neighborhood of 6-700 dollars. I personally would gladly
contribute to the fund to prove our lineage.

Think about it.

Peggy Dillard
descendant of John Gaston, King's Justice born in Ireland and died in
SC in 1789

5/25/10, <> wrote:
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. forward from Jackie Helmke (Joyce Gaston Reece)
> 2. Thomas Gaston, (Roy P Hunter)
> 3. Re: Thomas Gaston, (Jackie Helmke)
> 4. Alexander GAston (Margaret Dillard)
> 5. Fwd: Alexander GAston 1. Re: GASTON Digest, Vol 5,Issue 36
> (virginia Gaston) (Margaret Dillard)
> 6. Bethany Church Cy in Siloam (Roy P Hunter)
> 7. Re: Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio ( died)
> ()
> 8. Re: GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 37 (Margaret Dillard)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:55:59 -0400
> From: "Joyce Gaston Reece" <>
> Subject: [Gaston] forward from Jackie Helmke
> To: <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
>
> Subject: My Gastons
>
>
> Joyce, please pass this on. I would love to hear from anyone from this
> Gaston family. Ann Simonton, b. abt 1746, Lancaster Co PA, daughter of
> Robert Simonton and wife Margarett ___. Ann married 12 Aug 1768 to
> Matthew Gaston, b. 1748, Ireland, d 9 Dec 1799, Greene Co GA, buried in the
> Bethany Presby Ch Cy, Siloam, Greene Co GA. Ann Simonton Gaston d. 13 Dec.
> 1793, Greene Co GA, also buried in Bethany Cy. The information I have is
> that Matthew was the son of Alexander Gaston, b. 1702, Ireland, d. 20 Aug
> 1781, New Bern NC and his wife Jane ___. Matthew Gaston's 2nd wife was
> Rebecca Hardin.
> The family story is that Margarett, the wife of Robert Simonton was a
> Gaston. She contacted someone in Ireland and sent for a husband for their
> daughter, Ann. Matthew Gaston arrived at Charleston SC and made a bee line
> for then Rowan Co NC (now Iredell Co).
> Children of Matthew Gaston: 1) Robert Gaston, b. 1774, Rowan Co NC, d.
> 1829, Autauga Co AL, m. Abolena Hardin abt 1799 2) Mary Jane Gaston, b.
> 1777, Rowan Co NC, d. 1863, Breman, Carroll Co GA, m. 1796 to George Reid
> Jr. 3) Alexander Gaston, b. abt 1780, Rowan Co NC, d. 1837, Greene Co GA,
> m. Sarah Garner in 1802. 4) Margaret Peggy Gaston, b. abt 1784, Rowan Co
> NC, d. 1850, Noxubee Co MS, m. Thomas Perdue in 1807. 5) Matthew Gaston Jr
> b. abt 1785, Rowan Co NC, d. 1836, Jackson, Butts Co GA, m. Mary __ and
> second, m. Phereba Brown in 1827. 6) Ann Gaston, b. 1787, Greene Co GA, d.
> 1866, Homer, Claiborne Parish LA, m. Jesse Amasa Palmer in 1816, James J.
> Darden in 1824. 7) Thomas Gaston, b. abt 1788, Greene Co GA, d. 1830,
> Jasper Co GA, m. Elizabeth Reid. 8) John Gaston, b. abt 1792, Greene Co GA,
> m. Martha Blanks in 1826.
> My direct line is that of Robert Simonton and his wife Margarett ___(she
> spelled her name this way). Their son was Adam Simonton of Greene Co GA,
> Adam's son was Felix Simonton and his 1st wife Sarah "Sally" Greer.
> I would appreciate your some how putting this information into the
> Gaston site. Thanks...
> Jackie Helmke; 209 Henderson St; San Antonio, TX 78209
>
> This message has been screened by Norton
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:36:53 -0400
> From: Roy P Hunter <>
> Subject: [Gaston] Thomas Gaston,
> To:
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> My line is from Thomas Gaston, b. 1780, Greene Co GA, d.
> 1830, Jasper Co GA, m. Elizabeth Reid . He was son of Matthew .
> Thomas had a son George M. Gaston who married Nancy Morgan.
> Charles Gaston was son of George M. Gaston .
> Charles married Elizabeth Hardman 1873 Jasper county GA.
>
> Roy Hunter
> ____________________________________________________________
> Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
> Sign up to the #1 voted penny stock newsletter for free today!
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bfbe0d97babf6096m05vuc
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:38:25 -0500
> From: "Jackie Helmke" <>
> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Thomas Gaston,
> To: <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> Roy, thank you for contacting me. This is exciting to find someone from
> this line. I have done years of research on the Simontons. My grandmother
> was a Simonton. My husband and I have put together a 2 volume book on the
> Simontons. If it is not too much trouble, I would like to have as much
> information as you have on your Thomas Gaston and Elizabeth Reid. I saw the
> Reid book in the GA Archives, but did not copy anything out of it. We have
> been to Greene Co GA several times, and to the Bethany Church Cy in Siloam.
> We were fortunate one Sunday to be there for the Church's yearly reunion.
> Again, thanks....
> Jackie Helmke
>
> This message has been screened by Norton
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Roy P Hunter" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:36 AM
> Subject: [Gaston] Thomas Gaston,
>
>
>> My line is from Thomas Gaston, b. 1780, Greene Co GA, d.
>> 1830, Jasper Co GA, m. Elizabeth Reid . He was son of Matthew .
>> Thomas had a son George M. Gaston who married Nancy Morgan.
>> Charles Gaston was son of George M. Gaston .
>> Charles married Elizabeth Hardman 1873 Jasper county GA.
>>
>> Roy Hunter
>> ____________________________________________________________
>> Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
>> Sign up to the #1 voted penny stock newsletter for free today!
>> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bfbe0d97babf6096m05vuc
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>>
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:59:38 -0400
> From: Margaret Dillard <>
> Subject: [Gaston] Alexander GAston
> To:
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Virginia,
>
> " Hugh Gaston was the first American Gaston of tghe Oscar CAldwell
> Gasaton, Sr. line. He was born in County Antrim, Ireland (1687) and
> came to America ca 1720, He died presumably in Summerset, NJ where he
> ha settled. His wife's name was Jennet. They had four sons.
> ....
> Joseph Gaston (son of Hugh) (b ca 1725 d,1775) married Isabel Simanton
> ,,,lived in Somerset, NJ...moved to Northhampton County, PA. He
> served as a King's Justice from 1766-1775...Joseph and his wife (d.
> after 1775) had 5 children...Alexander (son of Joseph) born 1769
> d.1825. He moved from Westmoreland County, PA to Morristown, BElmont
> County Ohio in 1811, He married Rachel Perry (1773-1833) who is said
> to be the first woman physician in regular practice in the United
> States"
>
> The above information is copied from "Ancestors and Descendants and
> Allied Lines of MEdora Virginia Ray" by Carrie L. Davis (First Edition
> 1988, p. 185. Pages 177-185 is dedicated to Gaston lineage. Carrie
> L, Davis lives in Gaffney, SC. You may be able to get this book via
> inter library loan or purchase one from the author who had some second
> printings available.
>
> Another book, which I have not read, available is "Oscar Caldwell
> GAston, Sr., Oklahoma Pioneer, Second Edition 1980 by Edward A.
> GAsston, Jr. of Atlanta, GA. Carrie obtained the above information
> from him by permission to use it.
>
> Good luck with your research!
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400
> From: Margaret Dillard <>
> Subject: [Gaston] Fwd: Alexander GAston 1. Re: GASTON Digest, Vol 5,
> Issue 36 (virginia Gaston)
> To:
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Virginia,
>
> " Hugh Gaston was the first American Gaston of tghe Oscar CAldwell
> Gasaton, Sr. line. He was born in County Antrim, Ireland (1687) and
> came to America ca 1720, He died presumably in Summerset, NJ where he
> ha settled. His wife's name was Jennet. They had four sons.
> ....
> Joseph Gaston (son of Hugh) (b ca 1725 d,1775) married Isabel Simanton
> ,,,lived in Somerset, NJ...moved to Northhampton County, PA. He
> served as a King's Justice from 1766-1775...Joseph and his wife (d.
> after 1775) had 5 children...Alexander (son of Joseph) born 1769
> d.1825. He moved from Westmoreland County, PA to Morristown, BElmont
> County Ohio in 1811, He married Rachel Perry (1773-1833) who is said
> to be the first woman physician in regular practice in the United
> States"
>
> The above information is copied from "Ancestors and Descendants and
> Allied Lines of MEdora Virginia Ray" by Carrie L. Davis (First Edition
> 1988, p. 185. Pages 177-185 is dedicated to Gaston lineage. Carrie
> L, Davis lives in Gaffney, SC. You may be able to get this book via
> inter library loan or purchase one from the author who had some second
> printings available.
>
> Another book, which I have not read, available is "Oscar Caldwell
> GAston, Sr., Oklahoma Pioneer, Second Edition 1980 by Edward A.
> GAsston, Jr. of Atlanta, GA. Carrie obtained the above information
> from him by permission to use it.
>
> Good luck with your research!
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:51:13 -0400
> From: Roy P Hunter <>
> Subject: [Gaston] Bethany Church Cy in Siloam
> To: ,
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Is the grave of Matthew and Ann Gaston at Bethany Church Cy in Siloam
> marked??
> Thanks
> Roy
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:38:25 -0500 "Jackie Helmke"
> <> writes:
>> Roy, thank you for contacting me. This is exciting to find someone
>> from
>> this line. I have done years of research on the Simontons. My
>> grandmother
>> was a Simonton. My husband and I have put together a 2 volume book
>> on the
>> Simontons. If it is not too much trouble, I would like to have as
>> much
>> information as you have on your Thomas Gaston and Elizabeth Reid. I
>> saw the
>> Reid book in the GA Archives, but did not copy anything out of it.
>> We have
>> been to Greene Co GA several times, and to the Bethany Church Cy in
>> Siloam.
>> We were fortunate one Sunday to be there for the Church's yearly
>> reunion.
>> Again, thanks....
>> Jackie Helmke
>>
>> This message has been screened by Norton
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Roy P Hunter" <>
>> To: <>
>> Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:36 AM
>> Subject: [Gaston] Thomas Gaston,
>>
>>
>> > My line is from Thomas Gaston, b. 1780, Greene Co GA, d.
>> > 1830, Jasper Co GA, m. Elizabeth Reid . He was son of Matthew .
>> > Thomas had a son George M. Gaston who married Nancy Morgan.
>> > Charles Gaston was son of George M. Gaston .
>> > Charles married Elizabeth Hardman 1873 Jasper county GA.
>> >
>> > Roy Hunter
>> > ____________________________________________________________
>> > Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
>> > Sign up to the #1 voted penny stock newsletter for free today!
>> > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bfbe0d97babf6096m05vuc
>> >
>> > -------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes
>> > in the subject and the body of the message
>>
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:33:37 -0000
> From: "" <>
> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio (
> died)
> To: <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>
> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>
> Author: SallyHoldenDyson
> Surnames: Gaston
> Classification: queries
>
> Message Board URL:
>
> http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gaston/582.2/mb.ashx
>
> Message Board Post:
>
> Virginia,
> I, too, have had problems with this line of Gastons in Belmont Co., OH. My
> gg-grandfather, Ephraim Gaston was in this area, too. I think he is a
> grandson of Dr. Alexander Gaston & Rachel Perry Gaston; probably thru son,
> John Perry Gaston. The History of Belmont & Jefferson Counties, Ohio by
> J.A. Caldwell (1880) says that Dr. Alexander Gaston settled with his mother
> in 1792 in Canton Twp., Washington Co., PA. "He later moved to Brooke County
> W(VA) and from there in about 1800 to near St. Clairsville, Belmont County,
> Ohio and from there in 1811 to Morristown, Belmont County, Ohio." It says
> that when he settled in Ohio he had a wife and 3 children which would fit
> with sons John Perry, Robert and Ephraim. I believe they had 7 children
> after these 3. I have found no proof that this Alexander was the son of
> Joseph & Isabella (Galbraith?/Simonton?) Gaston. If anyone has some
> documentation to help with the confusion it would really help. TIA
>
> Important Note:
> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would
> like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and
> respond on the board.
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:20:51 -0400
> From: Margaret Dillard <>
> Subject: Re: [Gaston] GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 37
> To:
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Virginia,
>
> " Hugh Gaston was the first American Gaston of tghe Oscar CAldwell
> Gasaton, Sr. line. He was born in County Antrim, Ireland (1687) and
> came to America ca 1720, He died presumably in Summerset, NJ where he
> ha settled. His wife's name was Jennet. They had four sons.
> ....
> Joseph Gaston (son of Hugh) (b ca 1725 d,1775) married Isabel Simanton
> ,,,lived in Somerset, NJ...moved to Northhampton County, PA. He
> served as a King's Justice from 1766-1775...Joseph and his wife (d.
> after 1775) had 5 children...Alexander (son of Joseph) born 1769
> d.1825. He moved from Westmoreland County, PA to Morristown, BElmont
> County Ohio in 1811, He married Rachel Perry (1773-1833) who is said
> to be the first woman physician in regular practice in the United
> States"
>
> The above information is copied from "Ancestors and Descendants and
> Allied Lines of MEdora Virginia Ray" by Carrie L. Davis (First Edition
> 1988, p. 185. Pages 177-185 is dedicated to Gaston lineage. Carrie
> L, Davis lives in Gaffney, SC. You may be able to get this book via
> inter library loan or purchase one from the author who had some second
> printings available.
>
> Another book, which I have not read, available is "Oscar Caldwell
> GAston, Sr., Oklahoma Pioneer, Second Edition 1980 by Edward A.
> GAsston, Jr. of Atlanta, GA. Carrie obtained the above information
> from him by permission to use it.
>
> Good luck with your research!
>
>
> On 5/24/10, <> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>> 1. Re: GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 36 (virginia Gaston)
>> 2. addys (Joyce Gaston Reece)
>> 3. Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio ( died)
>> ()
>> 4. Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio ( died)
>> ()
>> 5. Re: Decendants to John Gaston of Ireland,born1703
>> ()
>> 6. Re: gaston web pages ()
>> 7. Re: addys (VENITA GASTON)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 08:03:05 -0700
>> From: virginia Gaston <>
>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 36
>> To:
>> Message-ID:
>> <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> I don't know. the Perry name could have changed spellings.
>> The Perry's were in Chester Co ( nottingham township) at the time of the
>> revoution.
>> They moved to Washington Co Pa after the revolution. The Perry's were
>> also
>> related to the McMillan's of
>> Chester Co/ then Washington Co/ and onto Belmont county also.
>> Rachel Perry's father's name was John Perry and his wife's name was Jane
>> McMillan.
>> they have a connection to the Rev McMillan of Fagg's Manor and then
>> Washingto Co Pa.
>> Also associated with the group were Halmilton's who moved the same places.
>>
>> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM, <> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>> 1. Re: Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County, Ohio
>>> (Jackie Helmke)
>>> 2. Re: Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County, Ohio
>>> (Joyce Gaston Reece)
>>>
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 10:06:58 -0500
>>> From: "Jackie Helmke" <>
>>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County,
>>> Ohio
>>> To: <>
>>> Message-ID: <>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>>> reply-type=original
>>>
>>> Virginia, Was Rachel Perry any relation to Robert Peerie/Pirrie, who was
>>> a
>>> school master in Delaware around 1729 ? I understand the Peery/Peerie/
>>> Pirrie name could have evolved into Perry. Thanks....
>>> Jackie Helmke
>>>
>>> This message has been screened by Norton
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: "virginia Gaston" <>
>>> To: <>
>>> Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:20 PM
>>> Subject: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County, Ohio
>>>
>>>
>>> >I know some of you have run across the problem of proof as to
>>> > Alexander's
>>> > parents. This is the alexander married to Rachel Perry. They were
>>> > married
>>> > in Washington co Pa 1792 ( or so) and moved to Belmont Co, Ohio about
>>> > 1800.
>>> > I have researched both the presumed Northampton co parentage ( Joseph
>>> > and
>>> > Isabella). The problem is that Isabella remarried and moved to
>>> > Campbell
>>> > co
>>> > and onto Green Co. There was an Alexander Gaston also in Green Co Tn
>>> > ( although I have no information about his after 1805 in Green Co).
>>> > This
>>> > Alexander is likely the son of Isabella. His wife's name was "nellie"
>>> and
>>> > he had two daughters. He was living in Anderson Co Tn in 1805 next o
>>> > his
>>> > sister
>>> > Elizabeth Gaston Wilson, who also moved to TN.
>>> > Thus, the problem is, that given these facts i don't see how the
>>> Alexander
>>> > in
>>> > Belmont Co, is the son of Joseph and Isabella.
>>> > My husband's family urban legend is that the family came from the South
>>> > Carolina area. I had discounted this before but now I am not so sure.
>>> > Alexander's sons ( at least Isaac and Joseph must have believed the
>>> > south
>>> > carolina story). Isaac reports this in a 1870 census. Joseph ( if my
>>> > names
>>> > serve me correctly, was a son who died young, and left his child with a
>>> > maternal grandmother to raise. This son went onto Portland, Oregon.
>>> > He
>>> > wrote histories of Oregon. In one of the histories he wrote, i noted
>>> that
>>> > he believed Alexander also came from South Carolina. I have looked at
>>> the
>>> > various genealogies from South Carolina and didn't see where Alexander
>>> > might
>>> > have fit in, though.
>>> > Does anyone have any more information?
>>> > Thank you
>>> > Virginia Crosbie Gaston
>>> > lineage: Alexander Gaston- Rachel Perry
>>> > Isaac Gaston- Martha Young
>>> > william Gaston- Nancy Robinson
>>> > Charles Gaston- Nellie Dawson
>>> > William McFern Gaston- Lillian Zumstein
>>> > ( this was william's second wife"
>>> > John M Gaston- Virginia Crosbie Gaston ( me)
>>> > daughter: Emily Clauer married to Mathew Clauer
>>> >
>>> > -------------------------------
>>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes
>>> > in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 11:57:35 -0400
>>> From: "Joyce Gaston Reece" <>
>>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County,
>>> Ohio
>>> To: <>
>>> Message-ID: <>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>>> reply-type=original
>>>
>>> I'm hoping Bill Gaston...one of the two Austin, TX. Bill's...will see
>>> this
>>> since he has excellent knowledge of the Galbraith end of this.
>>>
>>> Joyce Gaston Reece
>>> Friends of the Archives Historical & Preservation Society, Monroe Co.,
>>> TN.,
>>> Secretary
>>> American Local History Network, Board of Directors, Vice President
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>> From: "Jackie Helmke" <>
>>> Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:06 AM
>>> To: <>
>>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County, Ohio
>>>
>>> > Virginia, Was Rachel Perry any relation to Robert Peerie/Pirrie, who
>>> > was
>>> a
>>> > school master in Delaware around 1729 ? I understand the Peery/Peerie/
>>> > Pirrie name could have evolved into Perry. Thanks....
>>> > Jackie Helmke
>>> >
>>> > This message has been screened by Norton
>>> > ----- Original Message -----
>>> > From: "virginia Gaston" <>
>>> > To: <>
>>> > Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:20 PM
>>> > Subject: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 (d) Belmont County, Ohio
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >>I know some of you have run across the problem of proof as to
>>> >> Alexander's
>>> >> parents. This is the alexander married to Rachel Perry. They were
>>> >> married
>>> >> in Washington co Pa 1792 ( or so) and moved to Belmont Co, Ohio about
>>> >> 1800.
>>> >> I have researched both the presumed Northampton co parentage ( Joseph
>>> and
>>> >> Isabella). The problem is that Isabella remarried and moved to
>>> >> Campbell
>>> >> co
>>> >> and onto Green Co. There was an Alexander Gaston also in Green Co Tn
>>> >> ( although I have no information about his after 1805 in Green Co).
>>> This
>>> >> Alexander is likely the son of Isabella. His wife's name was "nellie"
>>> >> and
>>> >> he had two daughters. He was living in Anderson Co Tn in 1805 next o
>>> his
>>> >> sister
>>> >> Elizabeth Gaston Wilson, who also moved to TN.
>>> >> Thus, the problem is, that given these facts i don't see how the
>>> >> Alexander
>>> >> in
>>> >> Belmont Co, is the son of Joseph and Isabella.
>>> >> My husband's family urban legend is that the family came from the
>>> >> South
>>> >> Carolina area. I had discounted this before but now I am not so sure.
>>> >> Alexander's sons ( at least Isaac and Joseph must have believed the
>>> south
>>> >> carolina story). Isaac reports this in a 1870 census. Joseph ( if my
>>> >> names
>>> >> serve me correctly, was a son who died young, and left his child with
>>> >> a
>>> >> maternal grandmother to raise. This son went onto Portland, Oregon.
>>> >> He
>>> >> wrote histories of Oregon. In one of the histories he wrote, i noted
>>> >> that
>>> >> he believed Alexander also came from South Carolina. I have looked at
>>> >> the
>>> >> various genealogies from South Carolina and didn't see where Alexander
>>> >> might
>>> >> have fit in, though.
>>> >> Does anyone have any more information?
>>> >> Thank you
>>> >> Virginia Crosbie Gaston
>>> >> lineage: Alexander Gaston- Rachel Perry
>>> >> Isaac Gaston- Martha Young
>>> >> william Gaston- Nancy Robinson
>>> >> Charles Gaston- Nellie Dawson
>>> >> William McFern Gaston- Lillian Zumstein
>>> >> ( this was william's second wife"
>>> >> John M Gaston- Virginia Crosbie Gaston ( me)
>>> >> daughter: Emily Clauer married to Mathew Clauer
>>> >>
>>> >> -------------------------------
>>> >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> >> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> >> quotes
>>> >> in the subject and the body of the message
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > -------------------------------
>>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes
>>> > in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> To contact the GASTON list administrator, send an email to
>>> .
>>>
>>> To post a message to the GASTON mailing list, send an email to
>>> .
>>>
>>> __________________________________________________________
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>
>>> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the
>>> body
>>> of the
>>> email with no additional text.
>>>
>>>
>>> End of GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 36
>>> *************************************
>>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:20:23 -0400
>> From: "Joyce Gaston Reece" <>
>> Subject: [Gaston] addys
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> Can someone provide me with the link to Bill Gaston's web site or his
>> email
>> address please?
>>
>>
>> Joyce Gaston Reece
>> Friends of the Archives Historical & Preservation Society, Monroe Co.,
>> TN.,
>> Secretary
>> American Local History Network, Board of Directors, Vice President
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:24:33 -0000
>> From: "" <>
>> Subject: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio ( died)
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;
>>
>> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>>
>> Author: vcgaston
>> Surnames:
>> Classification: queries
>>
>> Message Board URL:
>>
>> http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gaston/582/mb.ashx
>>
>> Message Board Post:
>>
>> I have posted a note on L- so this may be redundant. I am new to this so
>> am
>> not sure what I am doing. I know that other researchers have run into the
>> conflicts regarding this Alexander Gaston and who his parents might be.
>> Most of the genealogies I have read believe that this Alexander is the son
>> of Joseph Gaston and Isabella Galbraith Gaston. Joseph died in 1775 in
>> Northampton Co pa. His father is presumed to be Hugh of Peapack New
>> Jersey.
>> The problem that I have run into is that there are conflicting facts.
>> What I have been determined is that Joseph and Isabella had 5 kids- one of
>> which was Alexander. ( have the will so that much is certain). However,
>> Isabella remarried a James Dinwiddie. Isabella and her family
>> (Gailbraith"s) moved from Northampton Co Pa, to Campbell Co VG, and then
>> onto Green Co, Tenn. Isabella and James Dinwiiddie had mutual children
>> and
>> James and children from a previous marriage. Joseph and Isabella's
>> youngest
>> child,Elizabeth must have accompanied her mother in the moves. She
>> marries
>> in Campbell Co ( Mr. Wilson). They both move to Green Co Tn also. The
>> moves occured about 1800 give or take a few years( from Campbell co).
>> The problem is that Alexander Gaston appears to be in Green Co ( which
>> became Anderson Co Tn), and married. He is in the tax list there in 1803
>> and writes letters to his brother in Cincinatti. His wife's name is
>> Eleanor, called Nellie and he has two daughters. The conflict is that the
>> presumed child of
>> Joseph and Isabella, Alexander, was in Washington Co Pa from at least 1792
>> when he married Rachel Perry. They were in Washington Co Pa to about 1800
>> when they moved to Belmont Co, Ohio with children. They both died in
>> Belmont Co. As to the Alexander in Green Co Tn, I don't know his
>> movements
>> or what happened to him but the one in Green Co and the one in Belmont Co
>> can't be the same person.
>> Joseph and Isabella had three other sons, older than Alexander. As far as
>> I
>> can tell none of them went with their mother. One ends up in Cincinatti,
>> another in Columbiana Ohio, and I think the other in Western Pa. So I
>> gather that some of the children remained in Northampton Co after their
>> father died
>> My husband is the descendant of Alexander. The urban family legend is
>> that
>> the Gaston's came from South Carolina ( not New Jersey). I have always
>> taken
>> this as "soft" information since they didn't really do any research into
>> this.
>> His lineage is as follows:
>> Alexander- Rachel Perry'
>> Isaac Gaston- Martha Young
>> William Gaston- Nancy Robinson
>> Charles Gaston- Nellie Dawson
>> William McFern Gaston- Lillian Zumstein ( his second wife)
>> John Michael Gaston- Virginia Crosbie Gaston ( us)
>> our child Emily Clauer- married to Mathew Clauer
>> (In case you are looking at your records, I finally determined that
>> Isaac's wife- Martha was not a Biddinger. I spun my wheels a year or so
>> over that one. Her maiden name is Young. Apparently, a brother of
>> Martha,
>> married someone whose mother was a Biddinger. ( some mixup in reading a
>> census).
>> Oh, I know there are versions where this alexander does come through South
>> Carolina. I have checked many genealogies and don't see how that fits
>> with
>> anyone that I can see.
>> Help anyone?
>>
>> Important Note:
>> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
>> would
>> like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above
>> and
>> respond on the board.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:26:38 -0000
>> From: "" <>
>> Subject: [Gaston] Alexander Gaston 1769-1825 Belmont Co, Ohio ( died)
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;
>>
>> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>>
>> Author: vcgaston
>> Surnames: gaston
>> Classification: queries
>>
>> Message Board URL:
>>
>> http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gaston/583/mb.ashx
>>
>> Message Board Post:
>>
>> I have posted a note on L- so this may be redundant. I am new to this so
>> am
>> not sure what I am doing. I know that other researchers have run into the
>> conflicts regarding this Alexander Gaston and who his parents might be.
>> Most of the genealogies I have read believe that this Alexander is the son
>> of Joseph Gaston and Isabella Galbraith Gaston. Joseph died in 1775 in
>> Northampton Co pa. His father is presumed to be Hugh of Peapack New
>> Jersey.
>> The problem that I have run into is that there are conflicting facts.
>> What I have been determined is that Joseph and Isabella had 5 kids- one of
>> which was Alexander. ( have the will so that much is certain). However,
>> Isabella remarried a James Dinwiddie. Isabella and her family
>> (Gailbraith"s) moved from Northampton Co Pa, to Campbell Co VG, and then
>> onto Green Co, Tenn. Isabella and James Dinwiiddie had mutual children
>> and
>> James and children from a previous marriage. Joseph and Isabella's
>> youngest
>> child,Elizabeth must have accompanied her mother in the moves. She
>> marries
>> in Campbell Co ( Mr. Wilson). They both move to Green Co Tn also. The
>> moves occured about 1800 give or take a few years( from Campbell co).
>> The problem is that Alexander Gaston appears to be in Green Co ( which
>> became Anderson Co Tn), and married. He is in the tax list there in 1803
>> and writes letters to his brother in Cincinatti. His wife's name is
>> Eleanor, called Nellie and he has two daughters. The conflict is that the
>> presumed child of
>> Joseph and Isabella, Alexander, was in Washington Co Pa from at least 1792
>> when he married Rachel Perry. They were in Washington Co Pa to about 1800
>> when they moved to Belmont Co, Ohio with children. They both died in
>> Belmont Co. As to the Alexander in Green Co Tn, I don't know his
>> movements
>> or what happened to him but the one in Green Co and the one in Belmont Co
>> can't be the same person.
>> Joseph and Isabella had three other sons, older than Alexander. As far as
>> I
>> can tell none of them went with their mother. One ends up in Cincinatti,
>> another in Columbiana Ohio, and I think the other in Western Pa. So I
>> gather that some of the children remained in Northampton Co after their
>> father died
>> My husband is the descendant of Alexander. The urban family legend is
>> that
>> the Gaston's came from South Carolina ( not New Jersey). I have always
>> taken
>> this as "soft" information since they didn't really do any research into
>> this.
>> His lineage is as follows:
>> Alexander- Rachel Perry'
>> Isaac Gaston- Martha Young
>> William Gaston- Nancy Robinson
>> Charles Gaston- Nellie Dawson
>> William McFern Gaston- Lillian Zumstein ( his second wife)
>> John Michael Gaston- Virginia Crosbie Gaston ( us)
>> our child Emily Clauer- married to Mathew Clauer
>> (In case you are looking at your records, I finally determined that
>> Isaac's wife- Martha was not a Biddinger. I spun my wheels a year or so
>> over that one. Her maiden name is Young. Apparently, a brother of
>> Martha,
>> married someone whose mother was a Biddinger. ( some mixup in reading a
>> census).
>> Oh, I know there are versions where this alexander does come through South
>> Carolina. I have checked many genealogies and don't see how that fits
>> with
>> anyone that I can see.
>> Help anyone?
>>
>> Important Note:
>> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
>> would
>> like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above
>> and
>> respond on the board.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:28:31 -0000
>> From: "" <>
>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] Decendants to John Gaston of Ireland,born1703
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;
>>
>> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>>
>> Author: vcgaston
>> Surnames:
>> Classification: queries
>>
>> Message Board URL:
>>
>> http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gaston/34.165/mb.ashx
>>
>> Message Board Post:
>>
>> I would love any information you have.
>>
>> Important Note:
>> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
>> would
>> like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above
>> and
>> respond on the board.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 22:30:21 -0000
>> From: "" <>
>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] gaston web pages
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;
>>
>> This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>>
>> Author: vcgaston
>> Surnames:
>> Classification: queries
>>
>> Message Board URL:
>>
>> http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gaston/571.3/mb.ashx
>>
>> Message Board Post:
>>
>> Sure I would be happy to share what I have.
>>
>> Important Note:
>> The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
>> would
>> like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above
>> and
>> respond on the board.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 7
>> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 19:35:00 -0500
>> From: "VENITA GASTON" <>
>> Subject: Re: [Gaston] addys
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"
>>
>> http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/_images/Gaston_Narrative.pdf<http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/_images/Gaston_Narrative.pdf>;
>> Joyce, this is what I have in my favorites and what I copy to reach Bill
>> Gaston's web site. I found this quicker than I can find his e-mail addy.
>> good luck.
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Joyce Gaston Reece<mailto:>
>> To: <mailto:>
>> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 5:20 PM
>> Subject: [Gaston] addys
>>
>>
>> Can someone provide me with the link to Bill Gaston's web site or his
>> email address please?
>>
>>
>> Joyce Gaston Reece
>> Friends of the Archives Historical & Preservation Society, Monroe Co.,
>> TN., Secretary
>> American Local History Network, Board of Directors, Vice President
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> <mailto:> with the
>> word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
>> message
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> To contact the GASTON list administrator, send an email to
>> .
>>
>> To post a message to the GASTON mailing list, send an email to
>> .
>>
>> __________________________________________________________
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>
>> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
>> of the
>> email with no additional text.
>>
>>
>> End of GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 37
>> *************************************
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> To contact the GASTON list administrator, send an email to
> .
>
> To post a message to the GASTON mailing list, send an email to
> .
>
> __________________________________________________________
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of the
> email with no additional text.
>
>
> End of GASTON Digest, Vol 5, Issue 39
> *************************************
>


This thread: