GAY-L Archives

Archiver > GAY > 1999-10 > 0940501446

From: Nancy Gay Crawford <>
Subject: [GAY-L] Henry GAY I---(Part 4)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:24:06 -0400

Good morning all,

All you GAY experts help me out...jump in whenever you have a
correction or addition. Please note these are approximate dates.

Generation No. 4

10. JONATHAN4 GAY (THOMAS3, THOMAS GAY2 (I), HENRY1 GAY I) died Abt.
1821. He married MARTHA (MARY) BOON.

Notes for JONATHAN GAY:
Jonathan Gay made his will in Northampton Co., October 13, 1821.
He names wife martha, dau. Mary Palmer (Balmer), sons William and
Green Gay; daus. Sary, Nancy and Alice Gay; grandson James W. Newsom.
Exrs. Wm. and Green Gay. Wits. Henry Boon, Jr., Henry Boon, Sr.

Johnathan served in the Continental Line of Revolutionary Army as a
private for 3 years and received a grant of 224 acres of land. (Roster p.
280)

Children of JONATHAN GAY and MARTHA BOON are:
i.MARY5 GAY.
ii.WILLIAM GAY.
iii.GREEN GAY.
iv.SARY GAY.
v.NANCY GAY.
vi.ALICE GAY.

11. MARTHA4 GAY (JOHN3, HENRY2, HENRY1) She married UNKNOWN REYNOLDS.

Child of MARTHA GAY and UNKNOWN REYNOLDS is:
i.JOHN5 REYNOLDS.

12. SIMON4 GAY (HENRY3, HENRY2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1765 in NC, and
died in GA. He married MARY HARRISON August 08, 1781 in Duplin Co., NC.

Notes for SIMON GAY:
Listed in 1830 Lowndes Co., GA Census
Simon Gay 1 female

Simon Gay apparently had moved to Lowndes Co. by 1820 as he is not listed
in the
1820 Bulloch Co., GA. Census. His son Henry Simon is still in Emanuel Co.
in 1820.

>From Historical Preface for the Descendants of Simon Gay, by Beth Gay, 1993.
This Simon Gay fought in the Revolutionary War. The Roster of North Carolina
Soldiers shows him to be with the Militia, No. 488, from Wilmington
District.
Brothers and cousins, Bable Gay, Robert Gay, James Gay, Allen Gay and William
Gay also served their country in this war. Simon Gay, Sr., RS, was awarded
land in Irwin Co., GA in Edwards Military District. His lot and section
numbers were 488/12.

Child of SIMON GAY and MARY HARRISON is:
i.HENRY SIMON5 GAY, b. Abt. 1799, Bulloch Co., GA; d. Abt. 1857,
Colquitt Co., GA; m. JANE UNKNOWN, Abt. 1819; b. Abt. 1800; d. Abt. 1870,
Colquitt Co., GA..

Notes for HENRY SIMON GAY:
Listed in Emanuel Co., GA 1820 census -- 1male 16-26 yrs old and 1 female
16-26 yrs. old.

Bulloch Co., GA Records Deed Book AAAA 1819-1828, p. 420

Simon Gay, Planter of Emanuel Co., Aug. 7, 1819, for 300 dollars, 400 acres
bounded S.E. by Stewart's, Hylton's and sermon's lands, N.E. by Pierce's land
and on all other sides by vacant lands. Wits: Jas. W. Edwards, Allen Lane.
Rec: Oct. 18, 1820.

More About JANE UNKNOWN:
Fact 1: Buried at Sardis Church.

13. MARY4 GAY (THOMAS3, HENRY2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1717. She married
WILLIAM BARKES Abt. 1737 in VA.

Children of MARY GAY and WILLIAM BARKES are:
i.UNKNOWN5 BARKES, b. Abt. 1738.
ii.SARAH BARKES, b. Abt. 1740.
iii.LUCY BARKES, b. Abt. 1742.
iv.NANCY BARKES, b. Abt. 1744.
v.UNKNOWN BARKES, b. Abt. 1746.
vi.UNKNOWN BARKES, b. Abt. 1748.

14. THOMAS4 GAY (THOMAS3, HENRY2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1740 in Isle of
Wight Co., VA, and died Bef. 1802 in Franklin Co., NC. He married PATIENCE
MCDANIEL. She was born Abt. 1740.

Notes for THOMAS GAY:
Moved to Northammpton Co., NC. He inherited Jethro's property as next
brother
according to law of primogenture. On Dec. 14, 1760, IOW, Thomas GAY, orphan
of Thomas GAY,decd. chose Robert BABB as his guardian.

September 17, 1763 - Thomas Gay and Patience, his now wife, of Northampton
Co.,
NC, to Robert Babb of Isle of Wight Co., VA., for 20 pounds current money
already
paid 50 acres lying on the Northside of the main road in the Fort of the
Head of
the Western Branch of Nansemond in the County of Isle of Wight near the
county
line----part of a Tract of 150 acres of land belonging to Henry Gay and given
unto his son Thomas Gay by will and from Thomas Gay to his son Jethro Gay by
will and from Jethro Gay unto his brother Thomas Gay and Patience, his wife.
Wits. Joseph Sikes, Hezekiah Hough, John Hough. (D.B. 11, p. 182)

Last Will and Testament of Thomas Gay, Dec'd

In the name of God Amen, I Thomas Gay of the county of Franklin in the State
of North Carolina being very sick and weak but of sound mind do make and
ordain
this my last will and testament in the manner and form following. Imprimis.
First and principally I recommend my Soul into the hands of God almighty who
gave it hopeing that the merrits of his Blessed Lord Jesus Christ to be
received
into the mansions of Eternal Rest and my ody I desire may be guried in a
Christian
like manner at the Dipersion of my Executors hereafter mentioned. My will
and
desire is that my beloved wife Patience Gay may have the use of that
plantation
wherein she now lives during her widow hood with the use of my Negros Simon.
All the household furniture and stck except my stud hourse, King, and at her
intermarriage or death I give and bequeath the land before mentioned to my
son
William to him and his heirs forever - I give and bequeath unto my Son,
Joshua
one hundred acres of land it being the land whereon he now lives to him and
his
heirs forever, I give and bequeath unto my daughter, Temperance Walker my
Negro
Girl Phebe to her and her heirs forever. I give and bequeath to my son Allen
Gay one huncred and forty acres of Land it being the Land adjoining Wilson
Denson on the cypress Creek to him and his heirs forever. My will and desire
is also that my son Allen Gay may have my Negro boy Jimmy to him and hes
heirs
forever. My will and desire is that my son Gilbert Gay may have my Negro
Wench
Pleaz to him and his heirs forever, but her future Increase I desire may be
equally
Divided when my son gilbert comes of lawful age between my son Thomas my
daughters
Joanna and Polly To them and their heirs forever. I give and bequeath unto
my son
Thomas Gay my Stud horse called King with all my ready money and debts now
due to
me which I desire may be all Laid out to the best advantage by my Executors
hereafter
named in Lands in the state of Georgia for him my son Thomas and to his
heirs forever.
all the rest and residue of my estate I desire may be sold and the money
arising there
from I desire may be equally divided among all my children then alive to
them and to
their heirs forever My will and dsire is that all my stock and household
furniture
which remains at the intermariage or death of my disclosed wife may be sold
and the
money arising therefrom be equally among all my children then alive
together with my
Negro Simon (if alive) to them and to their heirs forever my Will and
desire is that
my friends Burwell Perry and my son Joshua Gay may become my Excutors to
this my Last
will and Testament to see the Executorships performed in toilness where of
I hereunto
set my hand and seal this twenty first of February Ano Domini one thousand
Seven
Hundred and Eighty four. Signed Sealed Published and Delivered my Last
Will and
Testament in the presence of
Stephen Sorsby Thomas x Gay {Seal}
Jeremiah Perry jur-t
Burwell Perry
Allen x Gay jur-t

Thomas moved to Franklin co., NC. He was too old to serve in the
Revolution but
he furnished supplies to the Continental Army. He receipted for the pay
for his
three sons, John, Joshua and Allen. He is know in history as the Patriot.

The Thomas Gay Estate was not settled until after his entire family had
moved to
Georgia when on the 10th day of December 1802 in Hancock County, Georgia,
his 6
sons and the husbands of his 3 daus. certified that each of them had received
their portion of the estate of Thomas and Patience Gay.

Notes for PATIENCE MCDANIEL:
>From "Index to The Headright and Bounty Grants of Georgia 1756-1909"
Gay, Patience granted 200 acres in Burke Co. in 1788.

>From "Land Deed Genealogy of Hancock County, GA."

26th January 1796. Daniel Whatley of Hancock County to Patience Gay of
same place for the sum of fifty pounds for a tract of land containing
one hundred and twelve and a half acres in Hancock Co. on Little
Ogeechee. Wit: Joseph Thompson and Elisha Whatley.

I, Patience Gay of Hancock County, Georgia, for the love and affection
and good will which I have toward my son Thomas Gay of same place, give
and grant unto said Thomas Gay one negro woman named Priss, about 26
years of age, to be his property after my death. Wit: Gabl. Hubert,
J.P. and H.M. Comer, J.P. 8th May 1800.

Children of THOMAS GAY and PATIENCE MCDANIEL are:
i.JOHN5 GAY, b. Abt. 1760, Northampton Co.,NC; d. Bef. December 12,
1817, Jones Co., GA; m. AMELIA CASTLEBERRY, Abt. 1785; b. Abt. 1765; d.
Abt. 1824.

Notes for JOHN GAY:
According to the North Carolina Revolutionary Army Account, Vol. VII, p. 63
John
Gay rendered invaluable service to his country during the American
Revolution.
His record was taken from the North Carolina Historical Commission,
Raleigh, NC.
He and his brother Thomas Gay were paid for services in the Halifzx
District in 1783.
DAR Patriot Index p. 263.

John Gay served in the North Carolina Militia as a Private. North Carolina
Revolutionary Army Account, Vol. VII, p. 63.

ii.JOHSUA GAY, b. Abt. 1765, Northampton Co., NC; m. SALLIE BROWN.

Notes for JOHSUA GAY:
Joshua.Certificate of Service in the American Revolution by E. Clark,
Colonel,
Dec. 10, 1784. (Land Lottery grants, p. 353) He also served with his brother
Allen in Raiford's Co., N.C. Continental Army, enlisted June 9, 1781,
discharged
May 17, 1782.

iii.TEMPERANCE GAY, m. JEREMIAH WALKER.
iv.ALLEN GAY, b. Abt. 1765, Northampton Co., NC; d. June 18, 1849,
Coweta Co., GA; m. (1) ABIGAIL CASTLEBERRY; m. (2) CELIA RAE ELBERT; b. NC;
d. January 26, 1793; m. (3) ANN BENTON, Abt. 1824.

Notes for ALLEN GAY:

Allen Gay was a Revolutionary Soldier and lived in Wilkinson Co., GA. He
and his
second wife were members of Ramah Baptist Church near Gordon, GA. He was in
Captain Robert Raiford's Company, Colonel Dickson's North Carolina Regiment.
during the Revolutionary War. He enlisted at the age of 16 on June 3, 1781
and was discharged May, 1782. Allen Gay served in General Green's Army under
General Francis Marion at Eutaw Springs, SC. Here he captured five enemy
prisoners single havded. After the was ended Allen came to Georgia to
live.
He married Celia Rae Elbert of Savannah in SC. They lived there until Celia
died leaving three small children. She was the daughter of Samuel Elbert and
his wife, Elizabeth Rae Elert. However, some researchers disagree on this,
as
Celia was not listed in Samuel Elbert's will. Samuel Elbert distinguished
himself
as a soldier in the Revolutionary War and acquired the rank of Major
General.
While Samuel Elbert was govenor of Georgia he signed the Charter for the
University
of Georgia. After the death of his wife Celia, Allen Gay moved back to
Georgia,
settling in Coweta Co. His grave is marked by the Sarah Dickinson chapter,
D.A.R.
of Newnan in Macedonia Cemetery. Allen's second wife was Abigail
Castleerry.
They had several children. His third wife Mrs. was Mrs. Anne Benton of
Henry Co., GA.

More About ALLEN GAY:
Fact 1: Buried at Macedonia Baptist Church

v.WILLIAM GAY, b. Abt. 1766, NC; d. May 22, 1852, Fayette Co.,
GA; m. MARY HUNT; b. January 28, 1770, NC; d. May 28, 1851, Fayette Co., GA.

Notes for WILLIAM GAY:
William was a Revolutionary soldier and is mentioned in White's" Historical
collections of Georgia".

Listed in Fayetee Co., GA 1850 Census p. 73 #1101

William Gay, age 86, born GA
Poll age 83, born GA

vi.JOHANNA GAY, m. ROBERT SIMS.

Notes for JOHANNA GAY:
Johanna Gay married Robert Sims and they lived in Clarke Co., GA.
and had no children. In her later years she lived inClayton Co.,
GA with her nephew, Sherod H. Gay.

vii.GILBERT GAY, b. February 10, 1771, Northampton Co.,
NC; m. LIVICE REYNOLDS.
viii.MARY "POLLY" GAY, m. JOSEPH THOMPSON.
ix.THOMAS GAY, m. AMELIA BARFIELD.

15. WILLIAM4 GAY (THOMAS3, HENRY2, HENRY1)

Children of WILLIAM GAY are:
i.JOHN5 GAY.
ii.WILLIAM GAY.
iii.ELIAS GAY, b. Abt. 1750; m. MARTHA HUNT.
iv.ELIZABETH GAY, m. UNKOWN LOWE.
v.MILLEY GAY, m. UNKNOWN BUTLER.
vi.SARA GAY, m. UNKNOWN HEDGPETH.
vii.MILES GAY.