GEN-ANCIENT-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-ANCIENT > 2004-03 > 1079235800

From: "Chris Bennett" <>
Subject: Re: [GEN-ANCIENT] Re: Mesopotamia - A DFA?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:43:20 -0800

Which one? There were several.

If you mean the "Gobryas" referred to in Ford's listing, that would be Ugbaru. With the exception of the statement about Nabu-balatsu-iqbi, what he says reflects my opinion and I have nothing to add to it.

You asked me offline for my opinion about Settipani's view that al-Tabari's statement that Darius the Mede was a nephew of Nebichahdnezzar is a late legend of no value. Settipani made that statement without considering al-Tabari's statement within the context of the totality of the evidence about these individuals. My opinion is that al-Tabari's statement is quite possibly an accurate reflection of Ugbaru's relationship to Nebuchhadnezzar. Its hardly a certainty, but its quite possible.

Chris