GEN-BENELUX-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-BENELUX > 1997-08 > 0872615966

From: Stardog< >
Subject: Re: SEEKING MILITARY RECORDS
Date: 26 Aug 1997 17:19:26 GMT

The army records for France are at Vincennes. I have an ancestor that
fought at Waterloo and after the batttle he, like many of the surviving
soldiers, couldn't afford to go back home or were injured so they didn't
attempt to make the trip, so they settled in Belgium. My ancestor settled
in Villers- la- Ville near Waterloo. I've found many other French soldiers
who settled in the Brabant area after the battle. I understand that the
ancestor of Jackie Bouvier Kennedy fought at the battle of Waterloo, and
not having the funds to go back to Pont St. Esprit, France,he stayed in
Belgium for a while then emigrated to the US. Once in a while I will find
a soldeir who settled in Belgium but died at the Invalide in Paris, a home
for old soldiers.

This thread: