GEN-BENELUX-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-BENELUX > 1999-03 > 0922270088

From: beudeker <>
Subject: Re: 'UNUSUAL' COMMENTS IN LATIN RECORDS......!!
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:08:08 +0100

PGaet11501 wrote:

> Hello Benelux Group,
>
> I'm currently reading Catholic Church records
> in Latin from Kortessem, Liege circa 1615 to 1830
> and have come across some phrases that I am
> hoping someone can translate. I think I get the 'gist',
> but would like to know the translation.
>
> A death record reads:
Hello Patt, I'll try to give you a translatian as good as possible; I
think the text isn't totaly correct, but..
> << 9 9tris 1726 sepultus est arnoldus dick extraneus>>
> '9 september 1762 Arnoldus Dick (a stranger) has been buried
> also
> a baptismal record in 1627 reads:
>
> << Hac 24-- martii, sub protestatione quod pasipares inri inde
Today 24. March - ????
> nullatus in carrereat Damniskr (?) colit (cilit?) prejudicisidae
??????
bapta est
has been christianised (baptism)
> Catharina ex illgto thoro procreata per Godefredium ----------
Catharina, born out of wedlock, daughter of Godefridus
and Cecilia ----- ; sponsors at the baptism
> cepirunt Guilielmus ------------, Margareta---------------,
are Guilielmus, Margareta
> et Christina --------------. abque Mater parentis Catharina ---------
and Christina, (abque = atque) and the Mother of Catharines mother---
???--- 'te' could have to read as 'se' ------
> indemnet testibus praetentibus Petro-----------et Michaele----------.
-----?? ---- with the witnesses Petrus and Michael here present ---
It was difficult to read indead, I suppose.
> I did my best with the handwriting!
> and I've left the surnames out, however,
> if it matters,
> Cecilia and Christina have the same surname;
> Godefredium and Guilielmus have the same surname;
> Margareta, Catharina, Petro and Michaele all have
> different surnames from each other and everyone else.
>
> Finally,
>
> what is the significance of the the phrase:
> << Tuit vi rubri sigilli>> in a marriage record.
I suppose it means: by force of the read seal confirmed.
> and the phrase:
>
> << coram testibus ibidem praesentibus>>
in the presence of the witnesses
> with or without the names of specific witnesses.
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Patt Gaetani
Wim Beudeker

This thread: