GEN-BENELUX-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-BENELUX > 2009-02 > 1234123774

From: Frans Vandenbrink <>
Subject: [GEN-BENELUX] for RvS
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:09:34 -0800

Hello Richard,
I ran into this bit of info while researching my wife's familyfrom
Cherry Valley, Otsego County, New York State. You probably are aware of
this "van Schaik" but I thought to make sure.
It's from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Expedition

Have a good one Frans

""In April, 1779, Colonel Goose Van Schaik (son of a former Albany
mayor), commanding 558 soldiers, led the first attack on the Iroquois
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois>;. He headed west from Fort
Stanwix <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Stanwix>; where they surprised
and destroyed the main Onondaga
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga,_New_York>; village killing 12 and
taking 33 prisoner. Since the pro British warriors had already left, the
village consisted mostly of neutrals and women and children. The
Onondaga <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga>; accused the soldiers of
raping and killing the women. The Continental Congress
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Congress>; congratulated him on
his success.""

This thread: