GEN-DE-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-DE > 1998-01 > 0886111142

From: Lyle G. Hartman< >
Subject: Re: Ship Germania, 1869
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:59:02 -0500

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, djweber <> wrote:

. .>"One of my daughter-in-law's ancestors is believed to have arrived in this
>country on July 29, 1869 on the GERMANIA. From reading information at Mr
>Alfano's web site, it appears as though the GERMANIA wrecked on August 7,
>1869. Was this the same ship, the last voyage?"
. .
What a coincidence! I received yesterday from Michael Palmer, who is helping
me with a problem, information about a Germania on which my gr gr grandfather
Johannes Schild, his wife, and ten children apparently arrived in New York on
29 April 1869. I think many of us have been impressed by Michael Palmer's responses
in this group for the last several months to questions about ships.

This Germania made her maiden voyage for the Hamburg American Line on 22 August
1863, Hamburg-Southampton-New York. The intermediate stop was later changed
from Southampton to Havre.

On 7 August 1869 it was wrecked in the fog near Cape Race, Newfoundland on a
return voyage from New York to Hamburg. There was no loss of life.

The timing certainly appears right for this to be the Germania which
arrived in New York on July 29, 1869. Do you know the Captains name?
The Captain for the April 29, 1869 arrival was H. E. Kier.

Lyle G. Hartman <>
Landenberg, Pennsylvania

This thread: