GEN-DE-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-DE > 1998-03 > 0888737508

From: "Michael Palmer" <>
Subject: NEUFELDT, Germany>USA, 1885
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:31:48 -800

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Glenn Belcher <> wrote:

> I would appreciate a "Germans to America" lookup.
> Newfieldt Family emigrated in August/September 1885.
> Father-Karl Johann b.1-17-1859
> Mother-Matilda Ottilie Krauch b.4-?-1859
> Child-Margaret Aususta Roseia
> Child-Helen Gertrude
> Child-William Herman b.7-10-1885 (6 Wks. old at time)

Abstract from the list, dated 19 September 1885, of passengers arriving at
New York on 19 September 1885 on board the Norddeutscher Lloyd steamship
BREMEN, from Hamburg 6 September, via Southampton, published in Ira A.
Glazier and P. William Filby, ed., _Germans to America; Lists of
Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports_ (Wilmington, Delaware: Scholarly
Resources, 1988ff.), vol. 52, p. 136:

Neufeldt, Carl, 25, male, farmer
Ottilie, 26, female
Bertha, 7, female
Grethe, 4, female
Helene, 2, female
Emil, 3 months, male

While the published information differs from your information at several
points, you should be aware that the abstracts in _Germans to America_ are
notoriously inaccurate. You should therefore check the published
information against the microfilm copy of the original manifest of
arriving passengers, which you will find in National Archives Microfilm
Publication M237, roll 490. You can borrow a copy of this microfilm roll
through AGLL (http://www.agll.com), any LDS (Mormon) Family History Center
(Family History Library microfilm #1027358), or Interlibrary Loan.

The steamship RHEIN was built by Caird & Co, Greenock, Scotland, for
Norddeutscher Lloyd and launched in August 1868. She had been laid down
as the ODER, but was delivered as the RHEIN, to replace the vessel
originally laid down as the RHEIN, but sold on the stocks to the Royal
Mail Steamship Co, and launched in February 1868 as the NEVA. 2902 tons;
106,1 x 12,22 meters (length x breadth); clipper bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts;
iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 12 knots; accommodation
for 70 1st-, 100 2nd-, and 604 steerage-class passengers; crew of 100+. 3
October 1868, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York. 1878, engines
compounded and new boilers by builders; service speed 13 knots. 18
September 1890, last voyage, Bremen-Baltimore. 1891, sold to Gray,
Liverpool. 1892, resold to A. Rimner, Liverpool (register shows Caird's
as owner); 1893, sold to Jaeger Brothers, Liverpool. June 1894, broken up
at Barrow-in-Furness [Edwin Drechsel, _Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen,
1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails_, vol. 1 (Vancouver: Cordillera Pub.
Co., c1994), p. 48; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, _North Atlantic Seaway;
An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World
with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications),
vol. 2 (1978), p. 546].

I am sending you, by separate e-mail, a scan, in .JPG format, of a
contemporary lithograph of this vessel, lying at dock before the
Norddeutscher Lloyd Wartehalle in Bremerhaven.

Michael Palmer
--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California