GEN-DE-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-DE > 1999-07 > 0932091373

From: "Michael Palmer" <>
Subject: Re: Pictures of BAVARIA, GERMANIA, DEUTSCHLAND and WILLI
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:16:13 -800

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Bruce E Hinrichs <> wrote:

> I have all the GTA information about my husband's ancestors but would
> like to get pictures of the above ships. ...
>
> BAVARIA left Hamburg, arriving in New York 15 October 1866
>
> GERMANIA left Hamburg, arriving in New York 27 May 1867
>
> DEUTSCHLAND left Hamburg, arriving in New York 2 November 1863
>
> WILLIAM TELL left Havre, arriving in New York 27 June 1854.
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone can help me get pictures of these
> ships. Could you also tell me how long a voyage would have been during
> this time?

You should be aware that the abstracts in _Germans to America_ are
notoriously inaccurate, so you should check whatever information you find
there against the microfilm copies of the original passenger arrival
manifests, which you will find on National Archives Microfilm Publication
M237, rolls 272, 280, 235, and 141, for the BAVARIA, GERMANIA,
DEUTSCHLAND, and WILLIAM TELL, respectively. You can borrow copies of
these microfilms through Heritage Quest (http://www.heritagequest.com),
any LDS (Mormon) Family History Center (Family History Library microfilms
#'s 0175628, 0175636, 0175591, and 0175497, respectively), or Interlibary
Loan.

For those three vessels sailing from Hamburg, you should also check the
Hamburg departure lists, which usually contain information (in particular,
each passenger's place of last residence) not found on the U.S. arrival
manifests. You will find the passenger departure lists for the BAVARIA,
GERMANIA, and DEUTSCHLAND, arranged chronologically by the date of
departure (for which see below), on Family History Library microfilms #'s
0472897 (1866), 0472898 (1867), and 0472894 (1863), respectively.

1. BAVARIA.

According to contemporary New York newspapers, the Hamburg (Hamburg-
America Line) steamship BAVARIA, Capt. Taube, arrived at New York on 15
October 1866, from Hamburg 30 September, via Southampton 3 October, with
merchandise and 680 passengers, to Kunhardt & Co.

The steamship BAVARIA was built by Caird & Co, Greenock, Scotland, and
launched on 30 October 1856, as the PETROPOLIS, for the Hamburg-
Brasilische Dampfschiffahrt-Gesellschaft. 2,405 tons; 301 x 37.8 x
27.9 ft (length x breadth x depth of hold); clipper bow, 1 funnel, 3
masts; iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 10 knots;
accommodation for 54 passengers in 1st class, 136 in 2nd class, and 310 in
steerage; crew of 80.

30 January 1857, trials. 20 February 1857, maiden voyage, Hamburg-
Southampton-Lisbon-Pernambuco-Bahia-Rio de Janeiro. 20 November 1857,
last voyage, Hamburg-Southampton-Lisbon-Pernambuco-Bahia-Rio de Janeiro
(4 roundtrip voyages). 21 October 1858, purchased by the Hamburg-America
Line; renamed BAVARIA. 1 November 1858, first voyage, Hamburg-
Southampton-New York. October 1867, inaugurated Hamburg-America Line
service to New Orleans. 1871, compound engines by C A Day, Southampton;
service speed 12 knots. 25 October 1873, last voyage, Hamburg-New York;
subsequently ran in the Hamburg-West Indies service. 1 November 1876,
sold to the Dominion Line, Liverpool. 7 December 1876, first voyage,
Liverpool-New Orleans. 2 February 1877, on return voyage, New Orleans-
Liverpool, destroyed by fire at sea with no loss of life.

Captains:
1857 - L. G"ode
1857-1858 - T. Paulsen
1858-1859 - G. T. H. Taube
1860 - F. G. Hensen
1860-1863 - J. E. Meier
1863-1866 - G. T. H. Taube
1867 - J. E. Meier
1867-1868 - J. Meyer
1868-1869 - C. Hebich
1869-1870 - N. C. Franzen
1870 - C. Hebich
1871 - W. K"uhlewein
1871 - W. L. Stahl
1871-1873 - F. G. Keyn
1874 - C. F. A. Frob"os
1876 - E. V. C. Bardenhausen
1876 - C. Bendix

Voyages:
1857 - Brazil (4x)
1858 - New York
1859 - New York (4x)
1860 - New York (4x)
1860 - Grimsby (2x)
1861 - New York (5x)
1862 - New York (6x)
1862 - Grimsby
1863 - New York (5x)
1863 - Grimsby
1864 - New York (4x)
1865 - New York (5x)
1865 - Southampton
1866 - New York (7x)
1866 - Grimsby
1867 - New York (2x)
1867 - Leith
1867 - New Orleans
1868 - New York (2x)
1868 - New Orleans/Havana (2x)
1868 - Bremen
1869 - New Orleans/Havana (2x)
1869 - New York (2x)
1869 - Bremerhaven
1870 - Havana/New Orleans
1870 - New York
1870 - Southampton
1871 - West Indies (3x)
1872 - West Indies (3x)
1873 - West Indies (2x)
1873 - New York
1874 - West Indies (3x)
1875 - laid up in Hamburg
1876 - West Indies (2x)

Sources: Walter Kresse, ed., _Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger
Reedereien, 1824-1888_, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum f"ur Hamburgische
Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5. (Hamburg: Museum f"ur Hamburgische Geschichte,
1969), vol. 1, pp. 201 and 189-190; Arnold Kludas and Herbert Bischoff,
_Die Schiffe der Hamburg-Amerika Linie_, Bd. 1: 1847-1906 (Herford:
Koehler, 1979), p. 26; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, _North Atlantic
Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old
World with the New_ (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside
Publications), vol. 1 (1975), p. 388; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, _South
Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Lines and Liners
from Europe to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina_ (Jersey, Channel Islands:
Brookside Publications, c1983), p. 54.

Pictures: Painting, as the PETROPOLIS, reproduced (from the photo
archives of the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz) in Clas Broder Hansen,
_Passenger liners from Germany, 1816-1990_, translated from the German by
Edward Force (West Chester, Pennsylvania: Schiffer Pub., c1991), p. 29;
painting, as the BAVARIA, reproduced (from the archive of HAPAG-Lloyd in
Hamburg) in Otto J. Seiler, _S"udamerikafahrt; Deutsche Linienfahrt nach
den L"andern Lateinamerikas, der Karibik und der Westk"uste Nordamerikas
im Wandel der Zeiten_ (2. Auflage; Herford: E. S. Mittler & Sohn,
c1993), p. 62. I attach scans of both pictures, in .JPG format.

You can obtain a high quality reproduction of the painting of the
PETROPOLIS from the

Bildarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz
M"arkisches Ufer 16-18
D-10179 Berlin
http://sbb.spk-berlin.de/deutsch/abteilungen/bildarchiv/index.html
e-mail:

You can obtain a high quality reproduction of the painting of the BAVARIA
from

HAPAG-LLOYD - Archiv
Ballindamm 25
D-20095 Hamburg

2. GERMANIA.

According to contemporary New York newspapers, the Hamburg (Hamburg-
America Line) steamship GERMANIA, Capt. Schwensen, arrived at New York on
26 May 1867, from Hamburg 12 May, via Southampton 15 May, at 3 PM, with
merchandise and 769 passengers, to Kunhardt & Co. "Had westerly winds
during the passage .... From lat 46 37, lon 51, to lat 45 40, lon 53,
passed a great many large icebergs."

The steamship GERMANIA was built by Caird & Co, Greenock, for the
Hamburg-America Line, and launched on 6 April 1863. 2,123 tons;
337.4 x 41.2 x 28.3 ft (length x breadth x depth of hold); straight bow,
1 funnel, 3 masts (barkentine rig); iron construction, screw propulsion,
service speed 10 knots; accommodation for 80 passengers in 1st class, 120
passengers in 2nd class, and 525 in steerage; crew of 80.

1 August 1863, delivered to HAPAG. 22 August 1863, maiden voyage,
Hamburg-Southampton-New York (intermediate stop later changed from
Southampton to Havre). 16 April 1868, collided with and sank the Dutch
bark PAULINE CONSTANCE ELEONORE. 7 August 1869, wrecked in fog near Cape
Race, Newfoundland, on a return passage from New York to Hamburg; no loss
of life.

Captains:
1863-1866 - H. Ehlers
1864, 1867-1869 - H. F. Schwensen
1867-1869 - H. E. Kier

Voyages:
1863 - New York (3 x)
1864 - New York (4 x)
1865 - New York (6 x)
1866 - New York (6 x)
1867 - New York (6 x)
1867 - Grimsby
1867 - Leith
1868 - New York (8 x)
1869 - New York (3 x)
1869 - Leith ...

Sources: Walter Kresse, ed., _Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger
Reedereien, 1824-1888_, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum f"ur Hamburgische
Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5. (Hamburg: Museum f"ur Hamburgische Geschichte,
1969), vol. 1, p. 190; Arnold Kludas and Herbert Bischoff, _Die Schiffe
der Hamburg-Amerika Linie_, Bd. 1: 1847-1906 (Herford: Koehler, 1979),
p. 26; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, _North Atlantic Seaway; An
Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with
the New_ (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol.
1 (1975), p. 389.

Pictures:
1. Engraving, reproduced in Hans J"urgen Witth"oft, _HAPAG; Hamburg-
Amerika Linie_ (3., "uberarbeitete Auflage; Hamburg: Koehler,
c1997), p. 17 [germania-1863a.jpg].
2. Engraving, reproduced in Kludas and Bischoff, _op. cit._, p. 26
[germania-1863b.jpg].

For high quality reproductions of these pictures, contact the HAPAG-Lloyd
archive in Hamburg (address above).

3. DEUTSCHLAND.

According to contemporary New York newspapers, the Hamburg (Hamburg-
America Line) sailing ship DEUTSCHLAND, Capt. Hensen, arrived at New York
on 1 November 1863, from Hamburg 5 October, with merchandise and 493
passengers, to Kunhardt & Co. "Had 5 deaths (3 adults and 2 children) and
3 births."

The DEUTSCHLAND (the second vessel of this name owned by the Hamburg-
America Line) was a 3-masted, square-rigged sailing ship, built by
Reiherstiegwerft, Hamburg (hull #36), and launched on 8 November 1858.
804 tons; 56,13 x 10,17 x 6,27 meters (length x beam x depth of hold);
iron construction; accommodation for 10 passengers in 1st class, 78 in
2nd class, and 288 in steerage; crew of 20.

11 November 1858, delivered to the Hamburg-America Line. 21 November
1858, maiden voyage, Hamburg-New York. 16 April 1868, sold to C.
Woermann, Hamburg. 1887, sold to J. C. Pfl"uger & Co, Bremen. 1889, sold
to J. D. Ahlers, Elsfleth. 1890, sold to J. J. Wallis & Sohn, Barth.
1896, scrapped.

Captains (under Hamburg flag):
1858-1860 - J. E. Meier
1860-1862 - E. Wesselh"oft
1862-1867 - F. G. Hensen
1868-1874 - J. H. M. C. Seemann
1874-1880 - F. A. J. K"uhn
1880-1883 - R. Kort
1884-1887 - E. Haye

Voyages (under Hamburg flag):
1858/59 - New Orleans
1859/60 - New York/Bremerhaven
1860 - New York
1860/62 - New York/intermediate ports/Rotterdam
1862/63 - New York/intermediate ports/Antwerp
1863 - New York
1863/64 - New York/intermediate ports/New York
1864 - New York
1864/65 - New York/Bremerhaven
1865 - New York (2 x)
1865/66 - New York
1866 - New York
1866/67 - New York
1867/68 - laid up in Hamburg 14 months
1868/69 - England/intermediate ports/Akyab/Rangoon
1869/70 - Rangoon
1870/71 - Rangoon
1871/72 - Rangoon
1872/73 - Cardiff/Rangoon
1873/74 - Rangoon
1874/75 - Cardiff/intermediate ports/Bremerhaven
1875/76 - Rangoon
1876/77 - Rangoon
1877/78 - Rangoon
1878/79 - Rangoon
1879/80 - Rangoon
1880/83 - Rangoon/intermediate ports/Bassein
1883/84 - Rangoon
1884/85 - Cardiff/Bassein
1885/87 - Cardiff/intermediate ports/Rangoon

Sources: Walter Kresse, ed., _Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger
Reedereien, 1824-1888_, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum f"ur Hamburgische
Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5. (Hamburg: Museum f"ur Hamburgische Geschichte,
1969), vol. 1, p. 190, and vol. 2, p. 301; Arnold Kludas and Herbert
Bischoff, _Die Schiffe der Hamburg-Amerika Linie_, Bd. 1: 1847-1906
(Herford: Koehler, 1979), p. 22.

I can find no contemporary picture of the DEUTSCHLAND. I attach a scan,
in .JPG format, of a modern painting of the DEUTSCHLAND, reproduced in
Kludas and Bischoff, p. 22.

4. WILLIAM TELL.

According to contemporary New York newspapers, the packet sailing ship
WILLIAM TELL, Funk, master, arrived at New York on 27 June, from Havre 21
May, with merchandise and 618 passengers, to Boyd & Hincken. "11th
[instant], lat 42 35, lon 51, saw a large iceberg."

The WILLIAM TELL was a 3-masted, square-rigged sailing ship, built by
Westervelt & Mackey in 1850. 1153 tons; 175 ft x 37 ft 10 in x 29 ft 2
in (length x beam x depth of hold). She sailed in Boyd & Hincken's
"Second Line" of packets between New York and Le Havre from 1850 to 1862,
during which time the average of her westward passages was 36 days, her
shortest being 25 days, her longest 60 days [Robert Greenhalgh Albion,
_Square-riggers on Schedule; The New York Sailing Packets to England,
France, and the Cotton Ports_ (Princeton: Princeton University Press,
1938), p. 286].

I know nothing at present concerning the WILLIAM TELL's later history or
ultimate fate, nor do I have a pictorial representation of her. For
further information on this vessel, contact the following institutions:

The Mariners' Museum
100 Museum Dr.
Newport News, VA 23606-3798
http://www.mariner.org/mariner