Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1990-08 > 0651079418

From: Kay Allen AG <>
Subject: Re: Age of competency
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 1990 08:23:38 -0700

Renia wrote:
> Kay Allen AG wrote:
> > Renia wrote:
> > >

> > The copies of the records also do not seem to have the ususal
> > stipulations that the master should take care to educate him in reading
> > and writing which appear in the apprenticeship papers of young children.
> How usual was this? Penty of later apprentices I have come across, years
> after
> their apprentices finished, could not read or write. Perhaps it was the
> custom in
> certain areas, at certain times, but not at all times.

This was Puritan Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts, and it appears to be
a fairly common stipulation. In any case, he could at least sign his
name in a neat, legible hand.
> > This is one reason that I felt that he might be an older lad already
> > able to read and write. And there are cases of adults apprenticing
> > themselves to a trade for a longish period of time which would end after
> > the 21st birthday.
> I don't know. In this case, 11 years is so long, that it's more probable
> that he was a young apprentice, rather than an older one, in order that
> someone was financially responsible for him. (Is it possible, that the
> signature was that of his father, bearing the same name?)

There is no trace of any parentage on this side of the pond. I will have
to re-read the document, but I believe it says that he is apprenticing

Kay Allen AG
> Doubtless, others will enter this interesting discussion with their
> views.
> Renia

This thread: