GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1996-02 > 0825143673

From: Stewart Baldwin <>
Subject: Re: Adamic and other ancient descents
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 06:34:33 GMT

(Jerry Anderson) wrote:

>>I'll finish with a couple of questions of my own, regarding
>>other possible early descents:
>>
>>1. Does anyone know of a well documented modern day descent
>>from the Sassanid kings of Persia (perhaps through one of
>>the Arab dynasties)? If any such descent is valid, it would
>>give a line of descent going back to the early third
>>century, which certainly seems to be earlier than anything
>>the Western European sources could offer.
>
>Stewart ,,, what about the proposed' line from Tea Telpi, a princess
>from the house of David, who went to Ireland 580 B.C. and from her
>and her husband, Eochaidh the Heremon, descended, among others, the
>Kings of Ireland and Scotland and England ....
>This chart is printed in LEWISES, MERIWETHERS AND THEIR KIN
>by Sarah Travers Lewis (Scott) Anderson originally published 1938

(snip)

>Jerry R Anderson
>Anderson & Associates
>Recruiting For Financial Professionals

Jerry,

These Irish pedigrees which supposedly go back to ancient times were
fabricated in the seventh and eighth centuries by the Irish
pseudohistorians, who concocted an elaborate phony history of Ireland
going all the way back to a supposed granddaughter of Noah. It was
not uncommon for a phony history of a nation (generally called a
"pseudohistory") to be written by scholars in Medieval times, such
as Geoffrey of Monmouth's "History" of the kings of Britain, and the
Danish pseudohistory of Saxo Grammaticus. The Irish pseudohistories
are perhaps the most elaborate of them all, and they were well enough
written that many people have believed them to be true. However,
these stories have been thoroughly debunked by modern historians, who
have shown that the pre-Christian history of Ireland is a fabrication.
A good part of it is based on the early Irish pagan deities, who were
transformed into "people" to fill out the history. Of course, there is
a good chance that at least some of the pseudohistory was also based
very loosely on legends which had some underlying truth, but there is
no reasonable method to separate the wheat from the chaff. The Irish
writers wanted their history to go back to Noah, so they had to fill
up a couple of thousand years, and they appear to have done much of
this by simply making things up. The reliable written history of
Ireland does not begin until the conversion to Christianity, and even
the history of Christian Ireland is somewhat vague until the sixth
century.

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: