GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1996-09 > 0843791221

From: Gordon Fisher <>
Subject: Re: Edmund Fitzalan 1273-1326
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:27:01 -0400

At 06:38 PM 9/26/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I am researching Edmund Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel. My information
>shows him born May 1, 1273 in Castle? Marlborough, Sussex, England,
>and beheaded November 17, 1326 in Herefordshire, England. I am
>curious as to why he lost his head and would appreciate any
>information on the circumstances of his death. Thanks!
>
>Les Howard
>
>--
>Chris Howard http://www.netcom.com/~lhoward/
>"Humans live best when each has his place to stand, when each knows
>where he belongs in the scheme of things and what he may achive.
>Destroy the place and you destroy the person." -Bene Gesserit teaching
>

>From my genealogical database:

18th ggf of Gordon Fisher

" ... he stood in so great favour with that King [Edw. 2], and was so far
trusted by him, that in 18 Edw. 2. he obtained hid special Letters to the
Pope (sent by the Archdeacon of Buckingham) whereby, representing to his
Holiness, the great animosities, which then were from divers of the
Nobility, towards one another, occasioned by the Rebellion of Thomas, Earl
of Lancaster ... But this high esteen which he had from that unhappy King,
became the chief occasion of his utter ruine: For, in that violent storm of
the peoples fury, raised by those Nobles who had harbored implacable
discontents against the Kings misgovernment, through the sway of the
Spensers, and other his Favorites; amongst which, Roger Lord Mortimer was
not the least, and by whom he was perfectly hated, (after they had surprised
the person of the King, whose cruel murther not long after ensued) he was
beheaded at Hereford, by the procurement of the same Mortimer, upon the
morrow after the Feast of S. Edmund the Archbishop. (P) Froissard says,
That the Queen landing England with a great power, divers of the Nobility
repaired to herl and hasting to Bristol, where the King and this Earl then
were; as also both the Spensers, who were then the most obnoxious; having
taken Hugh le Despencer the elder, together with this Earl, she caused them
to be brought before Prince Edward, and divers of the Barons then with him;
where, being judged to death; first to be drawn, then beheaded, and
afterwards hanged on a Jebet. Execution was accordingly done, at the Gates
of the Castle of Bristol, in the sight of the King himself, and of Hugh le
Despenser the younger, upon the day of S. Denis in October, An. 1326. (P)
By Alice his Wife, Sister and Heir to John, Earl Warren and Surrey, this
Earl left issue Richard, his Son and Heir; and Edmund a younger Son, on
whose behalf the King wrote to the Pope, for preferring him to some
Ecclesiastical Dignity; as also two Daughters, Alice who married to John de
Bohun, Earl of of Hereford and Ester; and Jane to Warine Gerard Lord d'Isle.
(P) But, notwithstanding this hard fate to him, she the said Alice obtained
some favor from the succeeding King: For it appears, that in 2 Ed.3. she
had an Assignation of three hundred twenty pounds annuity for the support of
her self and her children."
--- William Dugdale, *The Baronage of England*, vol I, 1675 (reprint
1977, Georg Olms Verlag, Hildesheim & New York), p 316

"EDMUND (FITZ ALAN), EARL OF ARUNDEL, s. and h., b. 1 May 1285, in the
Castle of Marlborough. His wardship was obtained by John, EARL OF SURREY
AND SUSSEX, whose granddaughter he m. He was knighted, with Edward, the
King's son, and many others, 22 May 1306. On 9 Nov. (1306) 34 Edw. I, he
was sum. to Parl. as EARL OF ARUNDEL, and took part in the Scottish wars of
that year. On 25 Feb/ 1307/8 he officiated as *Pincerna* at the coronation
of Edward II. In 1316 he was Captain Gen. north of Trent. For a long time
he was in opposition to the King, and was violent against Piers Gavaston,
who had beaten him in a tournament. However, in 1321 he changed sides, and
married his 1st s. to a da. of Hugh le Despenser, being thereafter one of
the few nobles who adhered to the King. In 1323 he was chief Justiciar of
North and South Wales. Warden of the Welsh Marches 1325. He m., in 1305,
while still a minor, Alice, only da. of William DE WARENNE (only s. and h.
ap. of JOHN, EARL OF SURREY AND SUSSEX), by Joan, da. of Robert (DE VERE),
Earl of OXFORD. Having been captured in Shropshire by the Queen's party, he
was, without trial, *beheaded* at Hereford, 17 Nov. 1326, in his 42nd year.
He was subsequently attainted, when his estates and *honours* became
*forfeited*. His widow (whom, in her issue was, in 1347, sole h. of her br.
John, Earl of Surrey and Sussex, and consequently of the great family of
Warenne) was living 1330, but d. before 23 May 1338."
--- Cokayne, *The Complete Peerage*, v 1, 1910, p 242

Regards,
Gordon Fisher

This thread: