GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1996-11 > 0847466897

From: Gordon Fisher <>
Subject: Re: The Principal work of the Vikings
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:28:17 -0500

To John, Stewart, Todd and all other interested parties:

When and by what congeries was it decided that medieval (or earlier?)
Christians were so universally devoted to euhemerism? For example, are
there surviving church directives or exhortations concerning this? Does
anyone here know what have Jews thought about this issue in early, medieval
and/or later times?

As you can see, I haven't quite given up on the historicity of Odin,
identified, it appears, by post-medieval (post-Christian? post-Jewish?)
historians with a god Woden (whose divinity is established where? stemming
from what era(s)? what kind of divinity?). I admit, however, to a certain
bias toward euhemerism, no doubt due to an over-exposure to Enlightenment
and scientific ideals -- although, as I indicated earlier, I don't think
scientific ideals (to speak broadly) started during the Enlightenment, or
with Newton, or Galileo, or Nicole Oresme, or Aristotle, or the pre-Socratic
Greeks, or Chaldean (Babylonian) astronomers, or certain Sumerians, or
Indians (as some would have it -- from India -- I don't know about the
Native Americans). I fondly like to believe that in all eras, including
pre-historical (pre-documentary) ones, there was a mixture of views,
depending on who you were (so to speak) talking to.

Gordon Fisher

This thread: