GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1996-12 > 0849452325

From: "Hope C. Lawless" <>
Subject: Re: RURIK, PRINCE OF KIEV
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 09:58:45 -0500

Hi Alexander,
Your post on Rurik's origins is most interesting. You have presented
information that would probably be very difficult to find here in the United
States. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. Wouldn't it be
nice if they found some truly anceint manuscript that gave us a clear
description of these pedigrees once and for all? It seems that the more
information we gather, the more questions we have. One question I have -
Do I understand your dates correctly? You write "The chronicle informs that
Rurik took Ladoga, a very small town near
Novgorod. After death of his two brothers, Sineus and Thruvor in 864, he
got their possessions, Beloozero ("White lake") and Izborsk. Novgorod
became Rurik's capital. There he died in 862." Unless I misunderstood or you
mistyped then Rurik took possession of his brothers' property after his own
death!
Thanks for your time and effort,
Kitsy Lawless
Framingham, MA., USA