GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1997-01 > 0852732326

From: Jim Stevens <>
Subject: More Cantelou connections
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:05:26 -0500

Richard Borthwick <> posted :

>>The two Williams are the same individual, I believe. I have Sir William
>>Cantelupe (Cantelou), of Calne, Wiltshire, and Aston Cantlow, co. Warwick,
>>Baron Abergavenny, d. 25 Sept 1254 at Calne, m. bef 1249 to Eva de
>>Braiose, d. July 1255, daughter of William de Braose and Eva Marshall.
>>
>>William in turn was the son of William de Cantelou (Cauntelo), of Calne,
>>Wilts, Lord of Tre-Cantlow (Cantleston), d. 22 Feb 1250/1 at Calne, m. to
>>Melicent de Gurnay, d. 1260, daughter of Hugh V de Gournay and Juliana de
>>Dammartin.

Is Julianna perchance the dau. of SIMON DE DAMMARTIN, Count of Aumale &
Ponthieu (d. 1239). If not, is she related to him at all ? I take note
that her husband, Hugh de Gournay is identified as the fifth of that name.
Do we have a pedigree for him ?

>>Sources: Weis and Sheppard (1992); G.T. Clark (1886) Limbus Patrum
>>Morganiae et Glamorganiae.
>>
>>Does anyone have a reliable list of the children of William II and Eva de
>>Braiose? According to Clark an unnamed daughter m. to Howel-ychan ap
>>Cadivor ap Gwrgan, and their son Hopkin ap Howel was of co. Brecon. The
>>assertion is made that Hopkin adopted the Cantelupe arms, which if true
>>would seem to imply some such relationship. The Welsh apparently adopted
>>maternal arms fairly frequently.
>>
>>David Boles ()
>>http://members.aol.com/Bolesbooks/Bolesbooks.html
>>
>I J Saunders *English Baronies: a study of their origin and descent
>1086-1327* (Oxford, 1963) p.39f.
>
>William I de Cantelou d.1239
>
>William II de Cantelou d.1251; m. Millicent de Gurnay
>
>William III de Cantelou d.1254; m. Eve de Braose
>
>George de Cantelou d.1273 s.p.
>
>George's sisters were (1) Millicent d.1299 and (2) Joan. (1) was George's
>coheir and the son of (2) was his other coheir. If their were other
>daughters of William III and they were not his eventual heirs or heirs in
>their issue then they would have been illegitimate. I have no information on
>such progeny.
>
>Millicent married 1st before Nov.1254 John de Montalt who poss. d. after
>1265; married 2nd before 1273 Eudo de la Zouche d.1279.
>
>Joan married Henry de Hastings d.1269. There is a misprint giving Joan as
>dying 1217 when in fact she died in 1271 (*Complete Peerage* VI:346).

Today is the first day of the rest of your life ! () Jim

This thread: