GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-01 > 0885066791

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Dukes of Marlborough
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:53:11 -1000

1. Francis Almeric Spencer [1779-1845] seems to have been created 1st Lord
Churchill in 1815. Was this perhaps in response to something he had done
during the Napoleonic Wars --- even at Waterloo --- in that year? Perhaps
someone who has CP in front of them could kindly answer that one.

2. Then we have Victor Albert Francis Charles [1864-1934] becoming the 1st
Viscount Churchill on a date unknown to me. What did he do to earn that
honour? Boer War, Great War --- perhaps just a loyal contributor to the,
presumably, Conservative Party coffers? Some, all or none of the above?
--

D. Spencer Hines --- Lady Astor, nee Nancy Langhorne of Danville,
Virginia --- first woman to serve as an MP---[Conservative, Plymouth] --- a

This thread: