GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-03 > 0889152053

From: Billye D. Jackson< >
Subject: Sources: Ref's/Royal/Medieval/Colonial American
Date: 5 Mar 1998 18:40:53 -0800

Good evening to the Gen Med Group,

August of 1997 I decided to put together as much of a complete lisitng
of the various messages I’d intercepted about which books and sources to
use for searching out ancient lineages. To this end, I have now
completed this information.

The second batch below is a compilation of information on Genealogical
Medieval Internet List Group, snipped to meet our needs. The first is a
worksheet for a Colonial Dames Seventeenth Century workshop, from which
sources they work to prove Armorial Ancestors. I haven’t gotten
permission from the CD17 list compiler to put her name on the internet,
but I will give her credit if she says I can, meanwhile since it was
just a worksheet handout, I believe it will be ok to post the content.
It was stressed that no book sources were 100% accurate but some were,
more than others.

From what I can gather, the medieval period covers time spans from
roughly 800 to 1500’s, but varies according to the authority.

I hope neither group is offended that I have combined all their
information. I needed it for my own purposes and thought it worth
sharing with everyone. I take no credit any of work of the list, I just
retyped some of it and hope I have it correctly entered. Please correct
me if you want to. I hope the grouped information may help someone
else, as it has helped me.

Much thanks to all of you who had a part in the discussions, for
advancing the research for all us who still struggle to find the right
book, and wonder if it’s a reliable one, or just useful. I know other
neophytes besides myself thank you one and all, for the education we get
from this list.

Billye D. Jackson. Victoria County Genealogical Society-Computer Support
Group. Victoria, Texas. March 1998
<mailto:> March 1998
[The following will be taken directly from the May 1996 handout]

Colonial Dames of the Seventeenth Century:

REFERENCE BOOKS: [REMEMBER: NO BOOK IS 100% ACCURATE]
1. Weis, Frederick Ancestral Roots of 60 Colonists
2. Weis, Frederick Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists
3. Weis, Frederick Magna Charta Sureties, 1215
4. Burke’s The GeneralArmory of England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales
5. Burke’s Irish Family Records
6. Burke’s Genealogical & Heraldic History of Landed Gentry
7. Burke’s Peerage & Baronetage
8. Burke’s Amerian Families with British Ancestry
9. Burke’s Prominent Families of U.S.
10. Burke’s Family Records
11. Coggehsall, Robert Ancestors & Kin
12. Riestap, J.B. Armorial General, 2 Vol.
13. Rolland, V. Illustrations
14. MacKenzie, George Colonial Families of the U.S.A., 7 Vol
15. Cokayne, George The Complete Peerage, 6 Vol. {and comes in a 13 Vol.
ver.}
16. Gibbs, Vicary The Complete Peerage, 13 Vol.
17. Sheppard, Walter L. Descendants of the Illegitimate Sons & Daughters
of Kings of
Britain-Lineage Book
18. Franklyn, Julian Heraldry
19. Kimber, E. Baronetage of England, 4 Vol.
20. Taute, Anne Kings & Queens of Great Britain: A Genealogical Chart
Showing their
Descent & Relationships
21. Louda, Jiri Heraldry of the Royal Families of Europe
22. Moncreiff, Iain Royal Highness: Ancestry of the Royal Child
23. Morarity, George The Plantagenet Ancestry of King Edward III & Queen
Phillipa
24. Papworth, John Ordinary of British Armorials
25. Given-Wilson, Chris The Royal Bastards of Medieval England
26. Sherman, Robert Mayflower Families Through 5 Generations, 2 Vols.
27. Dennys, Rodney Heraldry & the Heralds
28. Fox-Davies, Arthur A Complete Guide to Heraldry
29. Fox-Davies, Arthur Armorial Families
30. Shaw, William The Knights of England
31. Foster, Joseph The Dictionary of Heraldry
32. Foster, Joseph Some Feudal Coats of Arms
33. Roberts, Gary B. The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants
34. Buck, J.O. Pedigrees of Some of Emperor Charlemagne’s Descendants,
Vol. II & III
35. Ziber, Eugene Heraldry in America
36. Bye, Arthur E. Magna Charta, King John & the Barons
37. Harlein Society Visitations of Shires (Great Britain)
38. British Biography Dictionary of National Biography, 22 Vol.
39. Faris, David Plantagenet & Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists
BOOKS NOT RELIABLE: REMEMBER, USE WITH CAUTION
41. Wurts, John S. Magna Charta, Series 8 Vol.
42. Browning,Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent
43. Browning,Charles H. Magna Charta Barons
44. Virkus Compendium of American Genealogy
45. Jordan Your Family Tree
46. Turton, Wh. H. Plantagenet Ancestry
47. Crozier, William General Armory
48. Crozier, William Virginai Heraldica
49. Hobby Magazine At the Sign of the Crest (various family names)
50. Burke’s Genealogical History of Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited &
Escinct Peerages
of the British Empire
51. Burke’s Extinct & Dormant Baronetcies
52. (I missed name) A Dictionary of Arms
[53. Du’chess/Cleveland The Battle Abbey Roll, with Some Account of the
Norman Lineages
{this one was not on the list from CD17} ]

Comments on the various books above:
1. Used heavily. Go by line #, not page #. Gives lineages, must use
other to find arms.
11. Well done, good sources, gives gen.# and Coats of Arms for different
generations.
32. Family name & description. Good to know shire & county. Accurate,
but no dates.
33. Good. Used a lot.
34. Vol. 1 has some errors, other two are ok. Good, & easy to use.
39. Difficult to figure out, but good. Can get it from AGLL , new
1996. He hopes to replace F. Weis.

Hints from CD17 offiices:
If your Primary or Supplemental immigrant/colonial ancestor appears on
either the “New England Historic Genealogical Society’s Roll of Arms
Index” (NEGHS) or the “Order of Americans of Armorial Ancestry Index”
(OAAA), then it is not necessary to further document your line in order
to complete a COA. However you may wish to do this regardless, to show
the relationships and learn to whom the COA was awarded.

Family genealogies must be well documented if used. In addition to your
proof pages, please photocopy and incllude the title page, as well as
the bibliography pages citing the compiler’s sources and references.

Always put the name of the county (if given) after an individual’s name
to help distinguish him or her from others with the same name. (I.E.
John doe of Surrey Co. And John Doe of Derbyshire)

It also helps to put d/o [daughter of John Doe] in case you decide to
branch off the line later at that pont to continue the lineage on the
wife’s side. The same can also apply for the husband as s/o John Doe for
“son of John Doe”. You can branch off at any point on a lineage to
pursue different Armigers; just be sure to watch you generation numbers
Fill in as much information as possible on each generation regarding
names, dates, and places.

Next, from THE GEN MED DISCUSSION LIST:

JKent10581 <> wrote in article
<>...
writes:
> For those of you who want to know what some of these reference
books are
here is a good list. Print this out on your printer and then you can
refer
back to it when you want to check your library's holdings.<snip>

> Ä = Weis, _Ancestral_Roots_, 7th ed.
> AAP = Roberts, _Ancestors_of_American_Presidents_, [page] or
> [Pres. # : page].
> BxP = _Burke's_Dormant_&_Extinct_Peerages_, [page].
> BPci = _Burke's_Peerage_, 101st ed., [page].
> BP1 = _Burke's_Presidential_Families_, 1st ed. [page].
> BRF = Weir, _Britain's_Royal_Families_, [page].
> EC1 = Redlich, _Emperor_Charlemagne's_Descendants_, Vol I,
[page].
> EC2 = Langston & Buck, _Emperor_Charlemagne's_Descendants_, Vol
II,
> [page].
> EC3 = Buck & Beard, _Emperor_Charlemagne's_Descendants_, Vol II,
> [page].
> F = Faris, _Plantagenet_Ancestry_, [page:para].
> W = Weis, _Magna_Charta_Sureties,_1215_, 4th ed.

Next:
>Here are some that I have listed on my computer.
> They don't give the relevant time periods. Most are concerned with the

> 1300-1400, though many go beyond this period. I will try to get more
> details to you later. A list of main resources would be a boon to all
> researchers.
>
> 1. Collectanea Topographica Genealogica
> 2. Inquisitions and Assessments relating to Feudal Aids with other
> analogous documents preserved in the public record office AD. 1284 -
> 1431
> 3. Feudal Aids
> 4. Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem and other analogous documents
> preserved in the public record office
> 5. Calendar of Inquisitions Miscellaneous and other analogous
documents
> preserved in the public record office
> 6. Calendar of Charter Rolls and other analogous documents preserved
in
> the public record office
> 7.Calendar of Fine Rolls and other analogous documents preserved in
the
> public record office
> 8.Calendar of Close Rolls and other analogous documents preserved in
the
> public record office
> 9.Calendar of Patent Rolls and other analogous documents preserved in
> the public record office
> 10. Palatinate of Chester
> 11. The Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and

> the United Kingdom by G.E.C. edited by Gibbs.
> 12. The Black Prince's Register
> 13. The Manors of Suffolk by W.A. Copinger
> 14. Sussex Archaeological Collections
> 15. History of Dorset by Hutchins
> 16. Ormerod "Chershire"
> 17. Blomefields Norfolk
> 18.The Victoria County History Series (of the Counties of England)
> 19.The Dictionary of National Biography
>
> Paul Mackenzie
> 5/51 Fennell St.
> Paramatta