GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-05 > 0895797258

From: UTZ< >
Subject: Re: Hastings
Date: 21 May 1998 17:34:18 -0700

In a message dated 5/21/98 7:41:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> You are right. I looked back at my notes, and it looks like DNB has
> made an error in assigning the in-laws to William Herle. The line I
> provided was correct for Elizabeth Champernowne, wife of William
> Polglas. They had two children, a son Richard who was an idiot and dsp,
> and daughter and eventual heiress Elizabeth married to Sir JOHN Herle.
> Their son and heir Sir John sold Ilfracombe. There was also an
> Elizabeth, wife of RICHARD Herle who is a Champernowne relative (it
> would seem) but the exact relationship is more problematic. All I have
> been able to find for her is contained within and ipm following the
> death of her husband (37 Edward III). He held certain land of hers for
> life following her death, and her heir was Richard, son of Thomas
> Champernowne. Where your WILLIAM Herle fits into this I can't answer.
>
> taf

Ok--here's what I have now, comments--corrections welcome:

Descendants of William Champernowne, Sir

1 William Champernowne, Sir
2 Elizabeth Champernowne
..+William Polglas
3 Margaret Polglas
..+William de Herleb: of Caldecote, WARd: 1347
4 Margaret de Herle
..+Ralph Hastings, Sird: Abt. 1363
5 Ralph de Hastingsb: Abt. 1340d: 1397
..+Maud de Sutton