GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-06 > 0897650036

From: William Addams Reitwiesner< >
Subject: Re: GREY & RODHAM
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:13:56 GMT

(ANNE B. MUSSER) wrote:

> I have been researching my WYCLIFFE line and I have the same family in my
>tree! I have SIR KNIGHT THOMAS GREY 1384-1415, m. ALICE DeNEVILLE, son,
>SIR KNIGHT RALPH GREY, 1406-1442/43, m. ELIZABETH FITZHUGH, son, SIR KNIGHT
>RALPH GREY b. abt. 1432, m. ??, son, S> K> EDWARD GREY abt. 1477-1533, m.
>ANN GOWER, son, S. K. RALPH GREY 1529-1565, m. ISABEL GREY, son, S. K.
>RALPH GREY 1552-1623, m. JANE/ANNE ARDINGTON, daughter, MARGARET GREY b.
>abt. 1594, m. EDMUND RODHAM, son, MATTHEW RODHAM 1620-cir. 1672-74, m.
>ELIZABETH HEWITT, daughter, ELIZABETH RODHAM 1652-1709, m. RICHARD KENNER,
>etc.
> Does this make sense to you?

First, this business about "Sir Knight" in front of a man's name is an
invention of one of the modern genealogical database systems, and was never
used in the medieval period. The form, at the time, would have been "Sir
Thomas Grey, Knight", assuming that the reason he was referred to as "Sir"
was that he had been knighted (most "Sir"s had not been formally knighted).

Specific comments:

>SIR KNIGHT THOMAS GREY 1384-1415, m. ALICE DeNEVILLE, son,
He was of Heton and Warke, Northumberland, and she was a daughter of Ralph
Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland

>SIR KNIGHT RALPH GREY, 1406-1442/43, m. ELIZABETH FITZHUGH, son,
He was of Chillingham, Northumberland, and she was a daughter of Henry
FitzHugh, 3rd Baron FitzHugh by Elizabeth Marmion alias Grey.

>SIR KNIGHT RALPH GREY b. abt. 1432, m. ??, son,
He was of Chillingham, and the maiden name of his wife Jacquetta is
unknown.

>S. K. EDWARD GREY abt. 1477-1533, m. ANN GOWER, son,
His name was Edmund, not Edward, he was of Chillingham, and Ann was a
daughter of Thomas Gower of Stainsby by Constance Forster

>S. K. RALPH GREY 1529-1565, m. ISABEL GREY
He was of Chillingham, she was a daughter of Sir Thomas Grey of Horton by
Dorothy Ogle.

All of this is from Gerald Paget, *Lineage and Ancestry of H.R.H. Prince
Charles, Prince of Wales* [Edinburgh: Skilton, 1977], in which Ralph
(c1529-1564) and Isabel can be found in vol. II, p. 117, as N12475 and
N12476. The descent in Paget goes through Ralph and Isabel's daughter
Dorothy (M6238).

William Addams Reitwiesner

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

This thread: