GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1998-09 > 0905194279

From: "Paul Thomas Blay" <>
Subject: Anglo-Saxon Royal goldsmiths Shottesbrooke Berks
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 19:51:19 +0100

Royal goldsmiths have worked at Shottesbrooke Berks from the 8th C (Offa's
ealdorman Bynna) to the 14th C. Fine metalworking probably goes back to
pre-Roman times.

I have a detailed history of the area in the Anglo-Saxon period and would
like
to share information urgently as this site is threatened with a Motorway
Service Area. Interesting discoveries include an ancient Shire moot of
Berkshire that the county was named after and the designing of tapestries
by goldsmiths including Lady Godiva's brother Thorold. I also have been
able to
shed new light on such well known characters as Hereward and Wulfric.

I would particularly welcome information on early goldsmiths, moneyers etc.

Thank You,
Celia Blay

(Via Paul Blay's Internet Account).

This thread: