GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-01 > 0916579441

From: "Wayne F. Seibert" <>
Subject: Re: Hillbillies
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 08:24:01 -0500

Given the other terms used in America for "Mountain Williams" (ridgerunner,
etc..) I'm inclined to believe what I was told in an Appalachian Culture
class a couple years ago; The hill people were able to run around like
"billy-goats".. It is unlikely that William Of Orange had anything to do
with the term.
wrote in message <>...
>A CURIOUS FACT ABOUT HILLBILLIES
>
>According to a book _The Scots-Irish in the Hills of Tennessee_ by a
William
>of Billy Kennedy of Ireland, the term "hillbilly" is taken from William III
of
>Orange, King of England, Scotland and Ireland. This is a result of the
>settlement of Appalachia by the Scotch-Irish who brought their instruments
and
>bagpipes with them and sang songs dedicated to William of Orange: thus,
"Hill"
>from these mountains and "Billy" from King William.
>
>Has anyone every heard of this derivation before?
>
>- Ken
>
>Kenneth Harper Finton
>Editor/ Publisher
>THE PLANTAGENET CONNECTION