GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0917907823

From: Diane Andreasen< >
Subject: Re: Mauduit ancestry
Date: 1 Feb 1999 14:23:43 -0800

Did you know there is a tiny church, Saint Leonard's, Hartley Mauditt,
Alton, Hampshire? Built c 1100. It sits by itself on a small side road
off the road from Liss to Alton and with a small cemetery behind it. It is
one of the few churches in England I entered that you could just 'feel'
something in the air.

The pamphlet from the church says the church was probably built by the de
Mauditts some 50 yrs. after the Norman conquest c 1100-1125. Wm. de
Mauditt was granted the manor by Wm. the Conqueror and this is recorded in
the Domesday book, and he held it in 1086. The de Mauditts became the
Earls of Warwick. Held the manor under the feudal system by the service of
Chamberlain of the Exchequer and were also Rangers of Alice Holt a royal
deer forest. They held the church until 1267 when it passed to a nephew,
Wm. de Beauchamp who also became Earl of Warwick. There is more family
history mentioned off and on up to 1963 if you are interested.

Diane
----------
> From: G . EDWARD ALLEN <>
> Subject: Re: Mauduit ancestry
> Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 3:00 PM
>
> Lorelei Gustafson wrote:
> >
> > Based on the gleanings from postings over the past 2 weeks, is this,
then,
> > correct?
> > Lorelei Gustafson
> >
> > (1) William DE MAUDUIT Lord Of Porchester
> > b. "of Porchester"
> > d. 1105, Barfleur, France
>
> md. Hawise. Source J. Horace Round. "Mauduit of Hartley Mauduit
> [Hampshire]". The Ancestor April 1903: 207 et seq.
> > | (2) William DE MAUDUIT Lord Of Porchester & Hanslope
> > | d. bef Feb 1158
> > | & Maud DE HANSLOPE
>
> d. 1170/71 Eyton below cited.
>
> I would like to know the source for Isabel. Rev.R.W. Eyton "The
> Baronial Houses of Mauduit." Herald & Genealogist, 7:385 et seq. gives
> Adelicia.
>
> Son William d. after 1197. Eyton above cited.

> I hope this helps to clear up some misconceptions.
>
> Kay Allen AG
> >
> > Family genealogy:
> > http://genweb.net/~kendall
> >
> > immediate-family events (same info; different sites)
> > http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/2190
> > http://www.jetlink.net/~lgus

This thread: