Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0918262239

From: PM-G <>
Subject: Re: Heraldry / Coat of Arms Q? & Lookup
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:50:39 +1100

Peter Bales wrote:

> I am seeking the help of someone with access to and knowledge of Heraldry /
> Coats of Arms who could possibly advise me about a surname and any relevant
> details about this family and its origins.
> The family name is HARRIS and it is in regard of the coat of arms of a
> Stephen Harris' (Indigo Planter in Comilla Bengal) family.
> These arms were impaled by his son in law, Thomas Pattenson in his local
> church between 1802-17.
> The Coat of Arms is described as ;
> Arms - "Sable an antelope salient Argent armed crined and hoofed Or".
> Crest - "A demi antelope proper armed Or."
> Any help in identifying and locating details of this Harris family would be
> most appreciated.
> Thank you,
> Peter BALES
> Syd AUS

In Robson's British Heraldry Vol. II (published 1830) I found a particular
Harris family (Devonshire & Monmouthshire) with, quote;

"sa. an antelope, salient, ar. attired, tufted, and manned, or.

Crest, a demi antelope, as in the arms, salient and erased."

Probably not what you're looking for, nevertheless the closest I found in the

This thread: