GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-02 > 0918265510

From: Carole Malisiak< >
Subject: Re: Richard III, Duke of Normandy
Date: 5 Feb 1999 17:45:10 -0800

ED MANN wrote:

> Cheryl Classick wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to find the wife of Richard III, Duke of Normandy. I
> > have a Princess Adelaide listed as moth of Alice of Normandy who
> > married Randulph I, Vicomte Bessin. Is Princess Adelaide correct,
> > is she the daughter of King Robert II and Constance?
>
> I show Richard III as d.s.p. legit and Alix' mother as unknown.
_______________________
Duke Richard III had an illegitimate son called Nicholas who was a monk
at Fécamp and later Abbot of the monastery of St. Peter and St. Ouen at
Rouen for 58 years when he died in 1092. No daughters are mentioned. p.
46-7

Duke Richard's wife is simply called Adela. Count Baldwin of Flanders
asked King Robert of the French to give his daughter in marriage to his
son Baldwin (future Baldwin V). When he took her to his own house, "she
was still in her cradle...." van Houts reports that she was probably
not the Adela who had married Duke Richard III of Normandy as Jumiéges
reports that she was still a very young child. p.53

Houts, Elisabeth, M. C. van. "The Gesta Normannorum Ducum of William of
Jumiéges, Orderic Vitalis, and Robert of Torigni, Vol. II, 1995, pg.
46-47 and 53.

This thread: